Bladder infection?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lis16420

My albino girl rat named albina stinky (lol) drinks a ton of water, and her cage smells like ammonia(I clean it sometimes once or twice or more a week just because of this). Could this be a bladder infection?

Right now she is by herself, since her sister is recuperating from another illness. I put her in a 10 gallon aquarium. However, it's been happening since before that. I use carefresh bedding, also. I've used 10 gallon aquariums before, so i know it's not because of the size of the cage, and how little it is.

It's not my area of expertise but in my opinion your tank is the cause of the smell. Sooner or later bacteria builds up and that bacteria will cause the urine to smell like ammonia. (If you don't clean your cat's litter box regularly you'll see that happen also.)

An aquarium is no place for a rat, it doesn't have the proper ventilation. You need to get them a proper cage. Your little girl has to breath those fumes 24/7! :(

Oh boy, 10 gallon tanks are so not acceptable for rats.
Each rat can have a different concentration and that can change the odor. I'd put her back with her buddy asap.

I guess you know that aquariums aren't considered suitable for long-term housing for rats and a 10 gallon is just too small for a single rat, as the ammonia builds up and damages their lungs, etc.

Rats don't need to be separated from their cagemates if they are ill, they have already been exposed to each other's germs. When you separate such social animals you end up with 2 stressed out rats.

How old is your girl? Its normal for aging kidneys to need more "manual" flushing since the kidneys don't work so well. How strong is the urine smell? Is there any blood in it?

They should still be together, stroke or not. And a 10 gallon tank is way way way too tiny, not to mention unsuitable, for any rat.

I'd be more concerned about her lungs right now than the smell of her pee.

Ok! I realize the 10 gallon cage is not good! HOWEVER. It has been happening since BEFORE
I put her in there. So can we PLEASE get back to her peeing problems? Could it be diabetes, bladder infection? I'm not getting anywhere by being yelled at about the cage.

The fact of the matter is that they will do better together, not separated, unless the stroke caused an unusual behavioral problem in your other rat.

As for the amount she drinks and pees... well, I drink a lot more and pee a lot more than my mother in law, LOL. As with people, rats might have different hydration and elimination needs. If she's always been like this, there may not be an issue. If there's been a sudden jump in the amount of drinking and peeing, that probably means there's a problem. Either way, if you think there's a problem, then it might be time for a vet visit.

Back