Bigger pics of the Kitty(Rattie) Castle

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmjenn

Ok... let's see how this works!

castlesection-1.jpg
AprilandMay2008camp171-1.jpg
AprilandMay2008camp170-1.jpg
AprilandMay2008camp168-1.jpg

Well... those are big!!!!! (Isn't there an old song called, "I go to extremes?" :lol: )

I think if I do castle for rats, it would be a more compact design. I just can't see shipping something with tall appendages! (Those 2 are about 5 and a half ft. tall!)

With the castle, everything is open from the enterance to the tower, so rats could go anywhere inside and even climb out the tower if they wanted to!

The shelves are plywood, and I use cardboard concrete molding tubes for the round sections... potential chew problem????? I may be able to find some strong, lighter weight wood for the shelves. I'll have to look into it. I really wish shipping wasn't so expensive! Where's Scotty when you need him? He could just beam them where they need to go! :laugh4:

i don't think it would be a chew problem unless the wood used to make the cardboard and plywood was from pine or cedar. the phenols in those woods are toxic to rats. however, after being processed into cardboard and plywood i don't know if the phenols would still be an issue. it would be something to look into though.

what makes the cardboard, cement cardboard too? is it a type of applied porduct or something done in the making of cardboard?

shipping costs might be cut down if it was dismantled and shipped in a flat smaller box rather then a larger box as well. it would mean you would have design it in a way that it would be easy to assemble once it got to its destination though... but then again, that's what pictured instructions are for! :thumbup:

The cardboard tubes are just heavy-duty cardboard that are used as molds to pour cement in when they make supports/pillars. There's nothing about the tubes that's any different from any other cardboard. Not at all sure about the plywood composition, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's pine chips. I also wonder about the glue.

I think if I made them for rats, I wouldn't put the really high perch on... maybe only the castle section. (These are cat climbers.) Still, the castle alone is about 3ft long x 1ft high x 1ft deep. But who says we can't scale down the design!

is there a way you could design it to avoid the glue all together? maybe make it fit like a 3D puzzle so there would be no need for the glue. so long as its fairly sturdy it should be ok. its not like its going to hold the shifting weight of a cat.

Those look like a lot of fun, very creative :)

Some of us in New Zealand use nontreated plywood for our shelves in cages with no prolbems. My shelves are now two and half years old and still fine. :)

Back