Better Elder Care?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anita1216

I have lost two elderly ratmen the last few weeks and Im wondering if my elder care is lacking?

I make sure they get softer foods, I offer high protien snacks and I even hand feed when they have a tough time. Boost, Ensure, baby food, special ratty casseroles, whatever they need and enjoy eating I will prepare it for them.

Vet care has been continual for those with health issues. I have become a semi expert in wound care when needed. I even went so far as to get Teddy, who ultimately died of CHF, oxygen therapy every other day.

The cage is kept full of soft fleece, plenty of things to do, even for tired little elder rats :) Playtime is usually on my lap or on the couch next to me so they can come back for help if they need me quickly.

I offer bath services if they look as though they need help. Most of them love a warm washcloth and dirty ears getting a clean up. Tiny muzzles get wiped down and grubby feet/tails and "private" bits get attention as well.

Lots of love, thats a constant for all of my rats. My elder rats have come from rescues where they might not have gotten a home otherwise. So many people love bouncy babies, it gets hard to place these wee old folk.

Im picking up two older ladies on Monday, they are 2+. To be honest..Im afraid. I feel as though death now has my home address and it breaks my heart.

Anyone got any ideas as to what Im missing? Maybe tips to help give them a few more quality months with me?

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job to me :) Just remember that you should be offering them snacks that are higher in fat, not necessarily higher in protein.

It's wonderful that you are opening your home to the older rats that get less chances at love. Don't think of as death having your home address, think of it as somewhere loving for them to spend their later days and pass on in peace when they are ready.

*hug*

Except for removing the high protein which taxes poor worn-out kidney's your care sounds fabulous. When you take in the elderly like that, its only too soon that death comes a-callin'....can't wait to meet your new little ladies. :thumbup:

You are giving them wonderful care. You have the greatest retirement home for your oldies. For some rescues they get to finish their lives with love and attention. :bow: They do break our hearts when they leave no matter how short a time they've spent with us. :hugs:

I will replace high protien with higher fat, what have I been thinking? :doh: I spent so long dealing with babies, it became habit to look for protien content.

Cigar said:
Don't feel that death has your address.. I think it's more like the rainbow bridge does.

I suppose someday there will be a whole swarm waiting for many of us. Thats a happy thought, to see all those little faces again :heart:

Back