Best way to clip down fleece... [CN/FN!]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scythe

So I've got the new cage all set up, but I'm having trouble getting the fleece to clip down without being a pain in the butt -- because the bottom pan has that funny curve, and the shelf has things in the way like the little holes for the stairs, haha.

So what's the easiest way to get everything to clip down nicely?

I use binder clips med to large size...and just remove the metal peices you to squeeze together to open them.
I find the fleece needs to hang over the side a bit then put clip on...I use 3-4 along the back and 1-2 on each side...leaving the front unclipped...they tunnel under from front sometimes but seems to keep them from eating the fleece trying to pull it up!

i never clip them they seem to undo it for me every time always so i saved my self the trouble of always finding it undone :lol: So i just cut up fleece to fir the FN pan and they do what they want with it, seeing as i change the fleece every day or two its too much a pain to clip in. I also find the clips stick and rust yuck.

But the level part i cut the fleece to fit the pan part(black thing) and then take it out of the metal then put it back in the metal with fleece covering it.

Before I realised how much easier sewn liners are I used binder clips with no problems (I have never had any problems with them rusting or sticking like lilangel did and I just used the ones from Dollarama).

Yeah we get the ones from grand & toy (mother in law works for government and she just brings them to us) I tried to wash them but it made them rust along with the pee that would get on them(when i used them for the level part that is where they would get peed on)

Also did typos in my last post i meant stinking not sticking hehe

I do have a liner set also its wonderful but my guys made some holes :( Cry but they still hold and work much better also.

I cheat by replacing the trays that come with the FN/CN with a sheet of plexiglas and using binder clips on that. Coroplast would serve the same purpose.

Yeah I too use about 6 big binder clips per large tray. But one of my girls is a persistent chewer/tunneler and lately I've been thinking of only clipping one side or not at all just leaving extra fabric and folding it under. Maybe then she won't chew big holes in the nice new fleece I bought :wallbang: because she can get under there easier!?! LoL

Just wanted to warn you....watch your fingers when you put the plastic shelf piece back into the frame. It's easy to pinch your fingers and it hurts like h***.

i actually figured out a way to sew a slip-on cover for the awkwardly shaped tray:

take the tray, and trace it, leaving about 1n inch between the tray and the edge of the fabric on all sides, then, without cutting, you move the tray beside your existing pattern, about 2 inches away from the line on the side that will 'fold over' (the fold will be the end/back of the tray pillowcase, whether this is the long or short side is entirely up to you :) ). then trace the tray again, this time leaving 2 inches between the other three sides of the tray and the line. cut out the pattern except for the line that marks where it will fold. it's a good idea to keep the line on the outside when you fold it as you'll be turning it inside out later anyway and the line is a good reference. fold the fabric on the line and pin it in place - pinning is what will keep everything straight and therefore save you from a bunchy nightmare after it's sewn. then line up the remaining three sides (there should be lots of slack in the 'top' side) and pin them as well. sew going towards the folded side, 1/4 inch away from the edge on the sides perpendicular to the fold. about an inch from the edge, pull the extra fabric so that the corner lies as evenly as possible despite the excess fabric and try to stagger the inevitable bunching as you round off the corner. repeat on the other side, and of course there is no need to sew the folded side. turn it inside out, slip it on the tray with the smaller side on the bottom, and put it back in the cage for the munchkins to enjoy :D

i'm still working on an easy slip on cover design for the shelf .. i love the flexibility of ladder placement and the hooks but it's a pain to try to cover without using a million clips to keep my guys from pulling it up :wallbang:

Back