Best Substance

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bags of wood pellets are much bigger if I'm not mistaken.

How much litter are you putting in your litter boxes? You only need to put a single layer, it's just to help the rats differentiate the litter area from the rest of the cage. I have 3 cages of rats right now (17 rats total) and I think I don't even go through a 30 lb bag per month. (I have a rabbit that uses pelleted paper also so it's hard to estimate.)

I have 5 dollarama cat litter boxes that and 5 litters that fill the entire shelf of their critter nations. I had corner litters on their shelves and it didn't work at all!!!!! :p I fill the bottom of the litters but not with crazy amounts.

I guess the kitter litter pans from the dollar store are like that. They cost 2$ :) I'll definately try the wood pellets and post how long they last me. I'm just wondering if they'll help with the odor....I'd use them for my rabbits too. I'm curently using aspen and it doesn't absorb or help with odor at all. But it's cheap!!

The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to make the switch.

I have the litter boxes from Dollarama for my buns also, I just don't like them for the rats. $4 is still better that $10+ at other places.

Wood stove pellets are somewhere between aspen and YN for odour and moisture absorption. I recently discovered two of my buns are much better in their litter boxes if I use aspen instead of YN but I hate the stuff. It's not that cheap either, $30 for 2 cu. ft. I'd prefer wood stove pellets over aspen for them any day but I want them to use the litter box too! My third bunny is good, she uses her litter box all the time.

So far buy buns are really clean in the litter box. Hope it doesn't change things around when I switch their litter!

My bf is worried about parasites in the wood stove pellets. Is it something I should be worried about??

rats en folie said:
So far buy buns are really clean in the litter box. Hope it doesn't change things around when I switch their litter!

My bf is worried about parasites in the wood stove pellets. Is it something I should be worried about??

I find changing the bunnies litter mixed them up. So you may want to start putting half and half I their litter box at first.

I would freeze the wood stove pellets.

Back