Ben

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

God forbid, but it looks like Ben has also started suffering from Basil's heart congestion.

He was a little tired last night but I noticed labored breathing this morning. I put him on the meds I had Basil on and will watch him for the next couple of days.

He was NOT a trooper about his meds so the little contrahent had to be force fed. Needless to say, his majesty was not amused and took his puffed up little fur coat to the top floor hammock to place his butt cheeks where I could see them.

He will have that honor for the next 21 days... :wink:

If Albert and Roquefort start showing symptoms then they will all be packed off to the vet for check ups and meds. I will not, however, place anyone in solitary confinement, as suggested by my vet, when Basil got sick. They need to be together for cuddles and comfort.

I will keep you posted.

jennifervb said:
God forbid, but it looks like Ben has also started suffering from Basil's heart congestion.

He was a little tired last night but I noticed labored breathing this morning. I put him on the meds I had Basil on and will watch him for the next couple of days.

He was NOT a trooper about his meds so the little contrahent had to be force fed. Needless to say, his majesty was not amused and took his puffed up little fur coat to the top floor hammock to place his butt cheeks where I could see them.

He will have that honor for the next 21 days... :wink:

If Albert and Roquefort start showing symptoms then they will all be packed off to the vet for check ups and meds. I will not, however, place anyone in solitary confinement, as suggested by my vet, when Basil got sick. They need to be together for cuddles and comfort.

I will keep you posted.

Are you trying him on heart meds Jen? If so, you only need to give them for 3 days to see if there's any improvement. If no improvement, pull him off and try different abs.

mamarat said:
Poor Ben, I wouldn't separate him either. This is the time they need their buddies. :hugs:

Thanks Mamarat, I FULLY agree with you! I generally follow the advice of my vets, but there are some circumstances where I will not do what they recommend. I remember reading that rats can channel their energy. If they are depressed (through being something like quarantined) then they will channel their energy towards their depression.

I want Ben to channel his crabby little energy towards getting well. Both Roquefort and Albert are tending to him. I brought home this large, flat, coat box which I cut a door into and stuffed with newspaper...

the boys withdraw into their new clubhouse to conduct rattie business without mom being able to watch. I often see little noses peeking out at me...

I would like Ben to be able to do that for quite some time to come. He loves that box!!! :)

Thanks Shelagh,

I was going to follow the Lasix instructions and give him the meds for 5 days, but I will take him off after 3 days if he shows no improvement.

I am hopeful that the Baytril and Bronchiodialators will give him the kick he needs to get well.

I just don't want my baby to suffocate. I have a real issue with that because I have asthma and know, from experience, what it is like when you can't breathe.

I won't watch that happen to my little noses. I would rather eat mac and cheese for a year and give my boys the meds they need. :love6:

I'm bigger than they are and can stick out alot more.

jorats said:
It might be myco flare up? Maybe little guy's depressed from losing Basil?
I hope he recovers well. :heart:

You might be right Jo,

He was a nervous wreck the day Basil died. He was crushed into a corner on the main floor and would not budge.

He was also very reclusive in the days after Basil's death. Ben and Basil were very close and looked after each other.
They rallied their forces when the youngsters were being impossible. I can, very much, imagine that Ben is depressed.

Ben will be two next Tuesday. He is an older boy but I don't think that 24 months is a good age to lose him at. I will do what I can to pull him through this. I think he still has some p1ss and vinegar to contribute to society. :love6:

lilspaz68 said:
IF the lasix shows signs of improvement you will need an actual heart medication (eg. enalapril) for the duration of his treatment.

I discussed enalapril with the vet the day Basil died. I had called her to ask after the info I received from you guys.

Unfortunately, my little man never made it that far.

If the Lasix brings improvement then you can be sure that Ben will be getting enalapril on Saturday.

He will not appreciate being on meds but he will just have to suck it up. There is very little that I require of him, but he has no choice but to humor mom when it comes to his health. He can be such a twit. If Basil were here he would lick his face and send him into a state of total confusion. :wink:

Update. My little man is not doing well. He is not sleeping because he is concentrating on breathing.

His chest is congested and I am at a total loss of what to do. He has only been on the meds since yesterday morning, so I want to give him the full three days to respond to them. I also put a few drops of rosemary and eucalyptus oil in the cage as advised in my Rat Health Guide.

He has labored breathing and his little body is puffy. He is not in any pain and doesn't squeak when I press on his belly or chest cavity. He is quiet, reclusive and mildly lethargic. He is alert but slow. This morning, he tried pushing the syringe away with his paw, but he did not fight it the way he did yesterday.

This is very hard on me. I hate seeing my little guy in this state.

If he has not improved significantly by Friday evening (third full day of meds) then I will take him in to be euthanized.

Pray hard that he responds to the meds. :tearful:

Back