Behavioural side-effect of Prednisone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

Julia, who has a head tilt, has been getting Pred plus antibiotics for a probable ear infection. I took her off Pred for 1 1/2 days before taking her to the vet, in case he wanted to give a dex injection. He didn't do that, and he said I should put her back on Pred.

She was acting much better, despite poor balance, after a day without Pred. Now that she has been back on it for two days her behaviour is really hyper again. She runs up and down the ramp, in a disorganized state, and it's hard to get the meds into her. I think she knows something that I didn't.

I know that some people react badly to Pred, getting mood swings and irritable hyper behaviour. Looking back, I think this was part of Heather's problem. Clara, who was my first case of ear infection, recovered very well on Metacam and antibiotics.

So I will call the vet in the morning and ask to switch to Metacam. It is so hard to see Julia like this after she had been better.

I honestly have never seen a difference in behavior with my pets on pred... not even my dog and cat.
Hyper is a side effect I believe. But instead of switching to metacam, I'd try the dex instead if you can.

Yes, this is the first time I've seen a reaction like that to Pred. Other rats have shown no difference in behaviour. But it definitely can happen.

I will call the vet and see whether he'd go with the dex. He says that dex has to wait 48 hours since the last dose of Pred, though, and so Julia couldn't have dex before the clinic closes tomorrow afternoon for the weekend. :(

That's interesting!
My vet told me that their prednisolone is what they use in small animals cause it tastes real good. But I noticed that the dosages are always huge when using it.

Back