Bean has a lump

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnow

... on her left side, between the size of a BB and a pea. It's not in the skin, so probably not an abscess, which means... I'm half panicked. I haven't dealt with this before. My baby has a lump, and my vet isn't available until Monday outside of emergencies and there are about a million what ifs running through my head. :panic:

So, can anyone help me not panic too much about this while I'm waiting to get her in to the vet?

Chances are very good that it can wait until you see a vet. If it's a mammary tumour, best to get it removed when small. How old is she?

I know, logically, as long as it doesn't go from pea size to grape size within 24-48 hours, it can wait... and if it does jump in size, my vet will just have to deal with me making an emergency call. I just worry. A lot. Bean's only a year old, approximately.

If it does turn out to be a mammary tumour I think I'll spring for a spay during the same op if my vet is comfortable with it. *crosses fingers*

Yes, I agree that it might just be a cyst. If it starts growing have it looked at, because cysts can become abscessed.

That happened to my rat Lilly, who had a lump on ther throat which grew in size. Poor thing was grumpy after getting it lanced! :redhot:

Since it is on the side, keep a good eye on it to make sure it's not a mammary tumor. If it grows dramaticly then it's an abscessed cyst that will be lanced and treated.

Update us on what happens to good ol' Bean! <=)

Bean's on a 'wait and see' policy for now. If the lump starts getting bigger we'll have it removed, if it stays as it is we'll leave it be.

Back