Baytril once a day for Wildling?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

I know baytril is a twice a day medication but I have a Wildling sick with a URI. :( The one that attacks the side of the cage when I am near, Kara...of course :roll:

She is letting me handle her outside the cage but that would mean all of them have to come out each time. I am going to start her on a doubled up dose of baytril in the evenings. She lets me handle her a bit when they are all loose in the bathroom but bites badly inside the cage (gloves get sliced through like butter). I am going to mark her with a Sharpie in her ear and her tail so I know which one I am treating.

I hope she can figure out that baytril is yummy and I will be able to medicate her thru the bars one day and take her to twice a day. I guess its better than not being treated right?

Once a day huge dose is certainly better than nothing.

Speaking of those dang wildthings... Victor took a good bite out of my index finger a couple of days ago. Both Victor and Frank are going in for a neuter.
Fred is already neutered and much more calm than the other two.

Oooh ouch!!! Wildling bites are completely unrestrained unlike most of our domestics. I am sorry. Neuters did help. I am posting pics from the bathroom Out time in Rat Tails of the Wildlings :)

Mamarat, and myself have 1/2 wild rats. Long long story on how we got them.

I posted pics in Rat Tails just now if you want to see.

Mamarat's boys live with a pile of domestics and I had 2 neutered boys and a n intact girl living with domestics that did just fine. Then I added 4 more Wildling girls who weren't as accepting, and they harrassed the domestics so all my Wildlings now live together...I have 6 now having lost one boy at 13 months old to what I believe was a genetic heart problem. I never got a chance to treat him before he got really bad and had to be pts.

Wow, I think I remember this bunch from the other forum. Were they the ones in the park? Or was there a backyard group?

Ohhh okay, this is ringing a huge bell. Maybe I was lurking on the forum at that time. ;)

Good luck with dosing her! I wonder if you can get your hands on those gloves that techs use. Or us lowly assistants who get to retrieve the really nasty cats - the ones that a simple towel won't protect you from.

In Denmark all vets say to give baytrill once a day, so it sure does work, but I think it takes longer to work than if it's given twice a day. Get better soon wildling!

Back