Baytril-like drugs can have some troubling s/e in humans

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, great info.

Lots of vets in my area treat livestock animals as well as companion animals. I remember one of them going off on a tangent with me one night over the fact that the government had recently approved the use of Baytril to treat meat and dairy animals.
He was furious because he claimed that the current antibiotics had been used for years and the affects on humans were well known, but that the affects of Baytril were completely unknown - especially long term exposure. His main concern was a build up of resistance in humans to the affectiveness of ciprofloxacin by the long term exposure to enrofloxacin. He brought it up because he was concerned that I was getting too much exposure treating the rats with it. (I checked with my doctor and she wasn't concerned.)
Anyway, I wonder if using Baytril on livestock will also contribute to an increase of tendon problems in young children?

When I was nebulizing with Baytril my vet asked me to try and not be in the same room as the rats. She said there were no long term studies of the effects of Baytril on humans. :scratch:

Back