baytril/doxy combo

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat.charmer

What colour is it supposed to be? A friend of mine got a mixture from her vet and it turned a dark brown. Also, what is the best way to store that? Refrigerated and in the dark?

And what is the best way to store metacam?

Was the baytril mixed with doxy? That should be kept separate.
My baytril is a thick pink liquid. Our doxy is pill form.
We store our metacam in a dry dark place.

Our baytril/doxy/zithro is always in pill (powder for the zithro) form, which we compound here - it's much cheaper for the amount of rats we're treating at any given time.

They may have made the doxy into a compound, but I'm not so sure why they'd mix it with baytril. I know my vet will give owners pre-compounded (at the time you're at the vet), I guess you could call it, of baytril and/or doxy but never combined in a syringe. It's always 1 syringe per drug.

I know they do it because it's easier for some owners to give an already pre-filled amount, but I just don't know why they'd combine two meds into one. I don't know if that changes anything or not.

I think we had read somewhere else (goosemoose maybe? another rat forum?) that baytril/doxy combinations have been known to change color or darken but her mixture changed very quickly to a very dark brown. The vet's office said it was normal but I thought I'd ask here too since you guys seem more knowledgeable than many vets!!

Back