Baytril dose

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fidget said:
You sound like a good person in a bad situation.
I'm sure your worries for your kid are bigger than they are for what anyone thinks of you.
I think you're wonderful, and if you have the time or the inclination you could post more and in the more social spaces. But you don't have to.
Lets just hope that between your present abilities and hopefully the helpful knowledge of people here Frankie will be A-Ok!
That's what is important here, right?

I'll try to make more of an effort to post :D
I can take a video to put on my youtube thingo to show how she is.
She's really not bad .
I just don't have anyone at home or friends that have rats, so i can't ask general questions to anyone. thats why im on forums.
I won't be medicating her with the baytril when she doesn't need it.
But i'm guessing she might need it soon. So i just wanted to be prepared for if she did.
If i make a video it might not really show anything, right now shes not wheezing or anything.

Sickness aside i do try to make them happy.
They get to free range 24/7. Have their own big pebble pond to play in. And every kind of good foods you can think of that rats like.
I do make sure i provide everything for them to be comfortable, but being short of cash is just bad timing for this week.
I thought they were going good. So i went ahead and payed for the FK. But same day frank got the wheezes. :(

I can vouch for Cassandra. I have met her and she is the most wonderful person. So extremely caring and kind. She really takes everything on board and does the very best for her ratties. She may be new to rats but she does her research and applies her knowledge so well when it comes to taking care of her babies.

Cassandra has had the most horrible experience since becoming a rat mother and since then I know that all she wants is to make sure she is doing everything right.- And i mean everything- you tell her that her rat needs a certain item she will rush out and buy it, tell her a food is bad for them, she will ban it. Possible air borne irritants around cassandra's home? NO WAY! she's already a pro at parasite control:)

For a first time rat owner I've been so impressed at how dedicated she is. She only has two rats but bought them a ferret kingdom because her rats have to have the best!

I gave her the baytril just incase frankie got worse.

Frankie comes from my vet -who is the small animal vet cassandra mentioned. It is really unforunate that poor frankie is a wheezy girl. I know that cassandra frets about her going downhill very fast like her poor rat margot did. It's been a distresssing experience. I picked frankie for cassandra and i feel bad that she has become wheezy so young. The least I can do is give her baytril to have on hand!

This vet always recomends trying the ABs first and if that doesn't help trying the next options -congestive heart failure etc.. This vet is extremely good, reads the rat health care books amoung others and is very well priced! she is on call 24/7 and can be reached on her mobile phone- it doesnt get any better!!! No doubt cassandra will be at the vet as soon as she gets paid. She is most definitely not a corner cutter.

I am fairly sensitive so when i saw my friend on here and people thinking she may be trying to get out of going to the vet i had to let you all know how awesome she is! Communication is always a bit blunt over the internet.

oh and cassandra, did i give you doxy -yellow powder and zithromax (azithromycin)? white powder? i can't remember. You could add 6mls of water to the white powder and give her 2 and half little lines on the syringe of it if she continues to wheeze. do it twice a day.

when i had a constand wheezer zithromax did the trick better than baytril.

I prefer to try and kick the wheezing asap if it's possible rather than wait until they get sicker.

benzin.fox said:
oh and cassandra, did i give you doxy -yellow powder and zithromax (azithromycin)? white powder? i can't remember. You could add 6mls of water to the white powder and give her 2 and half little lines on the syringe of it if she continues to wheeze. do it twice a day.

when i had a constand wheezer zithromax did the trick better than baytril.

I prefer to try and kick the wheezing asap if it's possible rather than wait until they get sicker.

Yes! indeed you did! :hugs:
Oki doki. writing this down now lol

Ahh good you got the scale. :happydance:

OK so Frankie (I have a girl named that too!) is 200 grams

What I would do with your baytril tabs is this...

Pick up some strawberry syrup (we have Nesquik here), mix it in a bottle, half syrup, half water...can be a rough estimate.

Crush up 2 pills carefully and as finely as you can over a folded piece of paper.
Suck up 4 cc's of strawberry/water solution and put into med bottle...

Then carefully, using the folded paper, pour the crushed baytril into the med bottle/solution. Shake it well, let it sit an hour.

Frankie's dose would be .08 cc's twice a day. :D

A lot of people come on here looking for non-vet cures, so we had to determine you weren't one of those...we all have trouble with our vet funds sometimes. :)

We like newbies here, as long as they want to learn, we don't mind questions in the least, so post away, don't feel silly or nervous... :D

For any future posts on new forums, its best to say something like "I normally have a vet fund, but it was emptied recently...". It will save you from being grilled. :wink2:

lilspaz68 said:
Ahh good you got the scale. :happydance:

OK so Frankie (I have a girl named that too!) is 200 grams

What I would do with your baytril tabs is this...

Pick up some strawberry syrup (we have Nesquik here), mix it in a bottle, half syrup, half water...can be a rough estimate.

Crush up 2 pills carefully and as finely as you can over a folded piece of paper.
Suck up 4 cc's of strawberry/water solution and put into med bottle...

Then carefully, using the folded paper, pour the crushed baytril into the med bottle/solution. Shake it well, let it sit an hour.

Frankie's dose would be .08 cc's twice a day. :D

A lot of people come on here looking for non-vet cures, so we had to determine you weren't one of those...we all have trouble with our vet funds sometimes. :)

We like newbies here, as long as they want to learn, we don't mind questions in the least, so post away, don't feel silly or nervous... :D

For any future posts on new forums, its best to say something like "I normally have a vet fund, but it was emptied recently...". It will save you from being grilled. :wink2:

Haha you have a frankie too! it's a cool name!
i'd been wanting to name an animal it for a loooong time.
And she came along and it seemed to fit :D

Thank you soo much!
i really appreciate all the help.
Printing that off now... and into the med folder it goes. :thumbup:

No worries. It's hard to put into words what i mean. I kind of just get excited and write. And what i say sounds dumb.
Like i got the tablets, and was like GOOD LETS GET ON THIS AND GET THE DOSAGE INFO
but i just came across as a halfwit owner.
Sorry!

I really did have a good vet fund going. But my ratties got healthy and i wasn't expecting frank to get ill.
And i get payed every fortnight.
So i thought i would be fine without any large amount of cash for a couple of weeks, so i jumped on the opportunity to buy a ferret kingdom and used my saved money.

**Just been speaking to kristen though and it turns out i might have enough for a vet visit with this awesome vet we have in aus.
going to give her a call asap.

:happydance:

Have been in contact with the vet.
Will be seeing her sometime early this week when she gets the meds in she wants Frank to have.
Things are looooking gooood! :happydance:

Back