Bathing elderlies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

Miss Pea is no longer grooming herself. Her fur is dirty. Is there anything I can do to help her out? I've been giving her nightly scritches and I clean out her ears every few days because they get full of stuff. That sort of helps her fur stay a little cleaner, but tonight it's dusty all over. I don't want to wipe her with a cloth if I don't have to. Just wondering if there are any tips out there. :)

I bath my old guys all the time. They don't appreciate the bath itself but they seem to enjoy getting blow dried and I think being clean makes them feel a bit better afterwards. I use "no tears" baby shampoo.

Unfortunately the old ones really do need to be bathed... but it's so hard cause they hate it so much. My Pascal needed it done every day but some days I would use baby wipes and wipe him down. It worked pretty good and gave him a break from being put in the water.

Any wipes in particular? I just don't want to stress her out too much, know what I mean? I'll give her a quick bath now and see what happens...

I noticed that Pets at Home sell grooming wipes. Ive never seen them before, so i dont know if ud be able to find them anywhere else: http://www.petsathome.com/find/cate...is-rat/category-is-6F+Health/product-is-18921

Ive never used them though, so i dont know what they are like. You can bath them and wash them with no-tears baby shampoo, or shampoo designed for kittens. They are normally 'gentle' enough to use, and dont try the skin out etc.

An unscented baby wipe should be fine, and more than sufficient for daily use so the ick doesn't build up. But I guess that depends on exactly how dirty she is getting.

I also use the unscented baby wipes for my elder, Oliver. I tried bathing him but it stressed him way too much!

I do like the wet toothbrush idea.

Aww, poor Sweet Pea. And it's true, those dumbo ears tend to accumulate more junk!

I always used a warm wet washcloth - first soapy, then not, to clean them. If extra dirty, the toothbrush. The bucks - the ones with the orange skin, you know what I mean - really liked getting a lap bath with the toothbrush.

And ALL of them always loved towel-drying. That's the brux stage.

To blow dry I'd put them into their carry-box. They'd just hunker down and hide their faces. Mind you I haven't done this to Pea or Bess. But Pea has been bathed before.

Thank you for taking such good care of her. :hugs:

Back