Basil

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

Hi Guys and Gals,

sorry for the extreme delay in getting back to the Rat Shack. I have taken up a new business venture and am up to my ears in prep.

I thought I would let you know about Basil. He hasn't been himself for the last few weeks, so I have been monitoring his health. There was no wheezing, no blue extremities and no lack of appetite... he was just tired and didn't want to leave his hammock.

This past Sunday, I came home from running errands to find his sides heaving and him gasping for breath. I rushed him to the vet and we believe that he has a heart condition and an upper respiratory infection.

Due to his age (ballpark guess of vet is about 27 months), the vet does not think that he will be with me much longer.

He has been on 5 different meds the past week. Baytril, Lasix, Meloxicam (he tore a toenail), theophyllin and another bronchiodialator which I forget the name of. The last dose of Meloxicam ended yesterday but the toe is healed so I'm ok with that. The last dose of Lasix was administered this morning. He will remain on the Baytril, Theophyllin and the other med for another 2-3 weeks.

I will monitor him closely to make sure that the gasping and heaving sides do not reoccur. If they do, then we will know that it is the heart and not a URI.

He has been a doll about taking his meds and he is getting a ton of extras on the side. He likes his meds best in either vanilla soy yogurt (mixed with soymilk to make it frothy), or soymilk with a tablespoon of cooked oatmeal mixed in. He literally CLEANS the dish out. No remnants to be found anywhere.

He does not leave the cage anymore unless he has no choice (like when I'm scrubbing it down!). He sleeps alot and has claimed the top floor hammock as his own. Ben, Albert and Roquefort take turns cuddling with him so he is in good, psychological, shape. I just don't want my boy to suffer.

The vet suggested euthanasia last Sunday, but I did not have the impression that Basil was ready to die. He was tired and weak but he was interested in his surroundings while I cradled him in my arms. I can't euthanize a little life form when he is still alert and showing interest. It just isn't in the books.

One of my colleagues told me "it's just a rat". I shut him up by telling him that "a rat" is a life before its a human label. I think he is still chewing on that one. Yes, I can be a b!tch when it comes to my fuzz-faces. :bunnydance:

Please pray for my little man. I have no clue how much longer I will be graced with his company. Such a warmhearted and good natured little guy. His cloud, at the bridge, will be HUGE and I will be a mess when he's gone.

My other three little contrahents continue to be full of p1ss and vinegar. Roquefort decided that my ethernet cable was a good snack so I had to replace the thing! I'm surprised the little twerp didn't poop yellow plastic.

I'll keep you posted on Basil. I will be ok when he does pass. I just want to make sure that he has things as perfect as possible during his final weeks/months. :love6:

Missed you Jen!

About wee Basil, can you talk to your vet about getting enalapril or benazepril (Fortekor)? That particular med is the actual meds for his heart, lasix and the rest are just the additives not the primary, do you know what I mean?

I am going through CHF with Laila as well...the lasix helps, but will not really "help" the heart issues.

Basil died today. I came home and found him curled up in his hammock.

Roquefort was protecting the body but he let me take Basil out.

He had a peaceful look on his little face so I believe that he didn't suffer.

I'm not in a state to carry on right now so I will save the memorial for another time.

It is so painful when they leave. I wonder if they know just how much of us they take with them when they travel on to the Rainbow Bridge.

Play hard my beautiful boy. :tearful:

Back