Basil - undefinable

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

I think I may have asked this before but has anyone noticed a kind of convulsing in their rat men?

It's almost like the kind of twitch you get in your calf muscles but it, of course, can be felt throughout his little body.

It usually lasts for 1-2 minutes and it does not appear to hurt him. I rest my hands on him, when he is having them, and the massage and pressure don't hurt him either.

Once they are over, he trots down his ramp to powergroom Ben under the couch. I have seen no such episodes with Ben.

I can tell you... my little guys will be my demise (lol... no rhyme intended. :D!!!)

My Sebastian used to have episodes (not sure what else to call them) when he seemed to go into convulsions. He probably had a total of three or four that I witnessed in his entire life. The first time I saw it, I had thought that he fell off his shelf and was just freaking out because of it, but later I didn't think that was the case.
Sebastian seemed to be out of it while having these seizures, I would pick him up and it was as if he had no clue what was going on. This would last maybe two to three minutes and then he was completely back to normal. I wasn't sure what to make of them.
When he was taken into the vets for other reasons, I would ask about it, but unless they were happening while there it is difficult to diagnose. I didn't pursue it that much because of the infrequency.
I am sure that they can suffer from seizures and maybe even epilepsy, just like other animals can. If they become frequent, or they seem to not be recovering completely, I would discuss it with your vet.

I've seen this in a few of my older rats. Right now it's Andy, he gets this alot, it's almost like someone is pressing on a pressure point. He's not affected by it. He seems completely fine.

lilspaz68 said:
His whole body or just his hind end?

Definitely not hiccups?

Not sure if it is hiccups. It seems to be generating in his upper body but, considering his "little" size :)D!!!) you can feel it everywhere.

I didn't notice it in him yesterday. Knock on wood... :)

Vanessa said:
My Sebastian used to have episodes (not sure what else to call them) when he seemed to go into convulsions. He probably had a total of three or four that I witnessed in his entire life. The first time I saw it, I had thought that he fell off his shelf and was just freaking out because of it, but later I didn't think that was the case.
Sebastian seemed to be out of it while having these seizures, I would pick him up and it was as if he had no clue what was going on. This would last maybe two to three minutes and then he was completely back to normal. I wasn't sure what to make of them.
When he was taken into the vets for other reasons, I would ask about it, but unless they were happening while there it is difficult to diagnose. I didn't pursue it that much because of the infrequency.
I am sure that they can suffer from seizures and maybe even epilepsy, just like other animals can. If they become frequent, or they seem to not be recovering completely, I would discuss it with your vet.

Thanks Vanessa, :)

I have asked my vet and I got the same response you got... they could not diagnose it because it wasn't happening for them to see. :(

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!! Have you ever noticed how our little fur faces manage to be the picture of health when they go to the vet and then show their true colors the second you get them back home? :laugh4:

Hey... at least the concern helps keep my weight down. :D

jorats said:
I've seen this in a few of my older rats. Right now it's Andy, he gets this alot, it's almost like someone is pressing on a pressure point. He's not affected by it. He seems completely fine.

Thanks Jorats, :love6:

It helps to know that others have seen this behavior in their fuzz butts. ;)

Back