Basil to go to the vet today

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

my little rat man is sneezing and has been for a few weeks.

The strangest thing is that there are no other symptoms. He has no porphyrin staining, no lack of appetite, no lethargy and no problems breathing.

I can't hear any form of congestion either.

I spoke with a tech, from the vet's office, and she suggested that I remove the CareFresh bedding and replace it with paper towels. I did that and he is still sneezing. The sneezes are dry so I am wondering if the humidity, in my condo, is not high enough. It is cold here so the heater is on and keeping the temperature at about 75 degrees.

I will update you, next week, on the outcome of the visit. Ben is doing fine. He is still infatuated with the drawstrings on my sweatpants and tries stealing them. LOL!!! That's a no go little dude. :love6:

Aww.. I hate that when you just can't figure out what's doing it.
My mom had a rat who constantly sneezed. We would give him an allergy elixir and it seemed to help.

I put bowls of water around my apartment when it is time to have the heat on. I think it helps.
Hope Basil's little problem really is just a little problem that you can get all fixed up right quick!

I would definitely try the humidity factor, dry air for those sensitive respiratory systems will make them sneeze more. :) Its my cue to dig out my humidifier for the munchkins. :oops:

Thanks everyone! :heart:

Little Basil has received a clean bill of health from the vet.

She also said that a humidifier would be good so I will be getting one this weekend.

My little rat man is also on a mild diet. He weighed in at 698 grams! :shock:

The vet said that Basool (yes, I play with the name) was not "overweight" but that he could afford to lose about 15 grams. :laugh4: Sorry, but that cracks me up... I wish I could tell my colleagues that I need to take off 15 grams... :roll: ;)

One thing she did notice was that one of his incisors was slightly malocclusive (new word or does it really exist?). She said that there was no danger but that I need to watch it. I will soak his chew toy in grape juice so that the little sucker gnaws on it. He and Ben are now getting the Teklad lab blocks which they seem to enjoy.

On another note, the vet exam cost $66 dollars... amazing what we do to ensure the health and well being of our little $5 family members.... when you calculate it... I could have gotten 13.2 rats for the price of Basil's exam... no chance though guys... I have come to depend on his nose in my armpits. :laugh4:

Back