Basil is limping

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

I came home last night to find my little rat man limping. He is able to walk and he didn't react badly when I touched the little foot in question.

From what I can tell, he must have stepped on something... possibly the carpet tack that he and Ben managed to free up while destroying my carpet... :D

I sprayed the bottom of his foot with bactine (and told him that it does not taste good so he needn't bother licking it... ;)!!!)

I can't find any puncture wounds and there is no swelling. I will monitor it over the weekend and if he doesn't show any improvement by Monday, I will take him to the vet.

Anyone have any other ideas on how I can help my little fur face? Toast with preserves seems to be helping the little psyche but I thought I would ask you guys too. :)

Thanks,

Cleo was limping last night. No swelling just a little hop with the hind foot up, but she sets it down when she's not moving.

Yours and my rat most likely sprained their foot/leg. Its not anything you can do anything about, just let them heal. Takes a day or 2 for a mild one.

For a more severe sprain its best if you can limit their mobility in a one-level cage or remove/tie up ramps leading to the upper levels.

Bad swelling may need pain meds and an anti-inflammaory. I prefer metacam (prescription) but OTC Infant Motrin works well.

If the swelling is very bad and it just looks wrong then you need to vet your rat to the vet.

It seems to me that sprains are very common in rats. I've dealt with quite a few.
But like lilspaz mentions, a bit of a limp, there's nothing to do but let them heal.

Would it help at all to soak his foot in warm water just in case he has stepped on something? Or would that be bad if he has a sprain?

Thanks Everybody!!! Basil was "limp free" by Saturday evening and had a great time tackling Ben under the couch. :)

I'm telling you. If this is any indication; it must be one h3ll of a rollercoaster ride raising children! I swear I tune into their little issues like I had a built in radar! :D

ratamataz said:
Aw, it's good to hear that Basil is back to normal! :p

He's back to normal alright... I have a cornhusk basket by the fireplace which Basil is taking great pleasure in pulling apart.

I followed the cornhusk trail right to his little hiding place (under the desk) and then enjoyed the sound of little teeth working on the piece he had with him. :D

jennifervb said:
ratamataz said:

He's back to normal alright... I have a cornhusk basket by the fireplace which Basil is taking great pleasure in pulling apart.

I followed the cornhusk trail right to his little hiding place (under the desk) and then enjoyed the sound of little teeth working on the piece he had with him. :D

LOL, that's so cute, I love it when they do naughty things. :heart:

ratamataz said:
jennifervb said:
ratamataz said:

LOL, that's so cute, I love it when they do naughty things. :heart:

You should see my carpet!!! I don't know what they like about the carpet pyle! It is too hot right now for them to be interested in warm bedding so they pull it out and disperse it all over the place for me to find. LOL!!!!

I bought one of those tube hammocks and hung it inside the cage. Success!!! I came home yesterday to find Ben sound asleep inside it. All you could see was the little body bulge and a nose peeking out from the opening. Otherwise, that rat was sound asleep!!! :D

Back