Baking soda to reduce smell?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horselo285

Hi,

okay so I have been told before that putting a dish of baking soda by my girlies cage can help reduce odors. I was wondering if there was anything further I could do?

Is it safe to add a bit of baking soda to their bedding/litter, or would this be dangerous for them.

Any other inexpensive ideas?

FYI- I have 5 girls in a double CN. I use carfresh bedding on the main levels and blankets on the smaller levels. There are three litterboxes in the cage which they use most of the time for poop. I was hoping the carefresh bedding would make a different on odor control but so far it hasn't done much. :-( I generally change out the litterboxes twice a week (or whenever thy have a lot of poop in them) spot clean any poop in the carfresh when I can and do a full cleaning once a week where I change out the bedding. I am a bit behind this week due to finals and a ton of stress (my poor girls havent had much lovin either...I cant wait till finals are over) and their cage really smells......

Thoughts would be appreciated!!

-Laura

An air filter with a permanent hepta filter (Not an ionizer) and replaceable carbon filters.
I have a Honeywell permanent hepta air filter that works well.

I don't think putting baking soda directly in the cage would be healthy for their sensitive respiratory system. What are you using to clean?

Back