Bad news for Molly (UPDATE)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramma2jaakk

To bring everyone up to date on what has been happening at our house, Molly went to the vet yesterday. A few months ago she had a lump under her chin so off to the vet we went. The vet said surgery but I needed to save up for it. While saving the funds, I noticed one day the lump was gone. Last week I noticed the lump is back, and it has company. There are a few other small lumps above the larger one, so back to the vet we to. The vet did a needle aspiration to draw out some cells so they could find out what the lump is.

I just got the call from the vets office regarding Molly's needle aspiration yesterday. They told me the lumps are cancerous, so she is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning. We have to be at the vets between 730am and 800am. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers that it isn't spreading. I will know more tomorrow after the surgery, the vet will want to talk to me afterwards to give me her prognosis.

UPDATE: I just got the call from the vet, Molly is out of surgery and in recovery. The doc took her time removing the lump, she wanted to get it all and not burst it in the process. There was also a large vein in the area that was not attached to the lump, but she also didn't want to nick it so was working carefully around it.

Vet also removed a lymph node. She wanted to be sure to get ALL of anything that might be affected. Some shoulder tissue was also removed, so Molly will be a bit sore for a while. I'm to keep Molly in a hospital cage for a few days so Amy and Cindy don't mess with her stitches. Doc told me this morning that she hides the stitches inside the incision and glues the opening shut, but cage mates will still investigate the area.

Since the surgery was more extensive with removing tissue, the doc will also give more pain meds than medacam, so there will be two to give along with AB's to prevent infection. I should be able to go pick up Molly by early afternoon!

Thanks to everyone for their concerns and well-wishes for Molly. They were well appreciated!

Thank you everyone. I'll let y'all know what is going to happen with her, after I get her home from her surgery. I am SO not looking forward to tomorrow. Tonight is mine and Neal's "wine and cheese night", so I'm thinking at least 1/2 a bottle for me. Don't want any hangovers!

Glad your vet too time to be extra tedious with little Molly. She's in my thoughts still as well as you and hubs :wink2:

Just out of curiousity b/c i'm only 40 min. north of kennesaw...which vet do you use? I'm not too happy with mine lately as they are refusing to give out but one type of AB even if it's been used for 3 months to no use with my lil Meiko's resp. issues.

Molly is still doing great! I think she thinks she is ready to go back into the cage with Amy and Cindy, but I noticed today the area looks to be a bit swollen so I might wait until tomorrow, just to see how it looks. I've been letting her have a bit of time out of her hospital cage on a small table. I put her hosp cage on top, open the door and sit right there, ready for her to climb around on me. She is still ready with her little licky kisses, but you can tell she is lonely.

pshuga, the vet we use is Bells Ferry Veterinary Hospital, on hwy 92 in Acworth. They have at LEAST 3 vets there who know about ratties. Dr Tara Rittle is the one who did Molly's surgery, but Dr Robin Temple and Dr James McClearen are also wonderful vets.

Back