Bad cage/rat smell...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realised that despite regular washing, it does not essentially help to get rid of the smell that our rats leave behind on their hammocks, i soak my ratty stuff in a little baking soda + water solution before tossing it into the washing machine for a good spin.

Linoleum does retain a smell after long term use as well, I realised acrylic is easier to clean with consistent wiping, was lucky enough to have it cut and done up for a reasonable cost. Couldn't use fleece liners as I wanted my boys in my room with me and work meant I couldn't commit to a consistent laundry schedule :(

I did buy one of those charcoal satchets, also you could use a coffee bean pouch around the cage where the rats can't access, carbon absorbs most of the smells usually.

Use some vinegar in your rat laundry wash as well, it can really help with the smell.

Amanda, things you can do right now.

1) use lino on the levels and shelves (I use stickdown tiles I get from Dollarama)...these can be pulled up and replaced at any time.

2) Buy Mewsprint (my fav from Pet Valu) or Yesterday's News which is a pelleted paper and really really cuts smells. I often mix mine with some softer bedding on top.

3) If you have any wood type houses in there, remove them and stick with easily washable plastic instead. I only use wood for chew toys as it soaks up the urine and reeks

3) Change out hammocks frequently and wipe shelves daily...and things should improve. :thumbup:

Hi, thanks guys, this thread was a while ago. I know have dollarama tile and plastic place mats on the shelves, and i use a different bedding which has helped a lot. But thank you for ideas on how to clean it and what to use. Thanks again

Back