Back from the vet ...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Went to the vet today ...
The Liverpool boys .... after 2.5 to 3 months, Casper, Luke and Rhubarb are now finished their meds for the neuter abscesses and looking good :thumbup:

Johnny (Liverpool boy) had his stitches removed, is recovering nicely from surgery re his neuter abscesses and is on meds for a couple more weeks.

Raine (Liverpool girl) has recovered from her surgey and is now off her antibiotics. :thumbup:

Leah, Mark and Joey have been put on metacam (for their hed) and will continue their antibiotics (for respir) for another week or two.

Sammy's hed has progressed to the point where he can not use his hind legs at all. He is showing signs of pt (front paws curling, confusion, overreacting to stimuli, difficulty eating, slight head butting) and is to continue his pred and baytril. He is still a happy boy but rapidly losing weight despite the soft food in his cage and supplemental hand feedings. :(

Peter (Faith's twin) has recovered well from his surgery and is now off antibiotics. :thumbup:

Lasix frequency is being increased for Elizabeth and Robin (Oromoncto girls) as their breathing is getting much worse. They have been on meds for chf, including digoxin, and respir. for months.

X-rays showed that Esther (Oromoncto girl) has a slightly enlarged heart so digoxin is being added to her other meds for her heart and respir. I hope this helps her breathing difficulties.

X-rays show that Elijah (Grace's son) has a very huge heart so he is being put on heart meds. He has been on different combos of respir drugs with no improvement. He has been losing a lot of weight so hopefully these drugs will help his symptoms and give him some good quality time.

X-rays show that Laurel's (Liverpool mom) lungs are not in great shape, but her heart looks good. The vet added pred to her lasix and antibiotics.

X-rays show that Paul's (Liverpool boy) heart and lungs look good. Paul has been on various combos of antibiotics for months ... nothing seems to help enough. He has had laboured breathing for a long long time. He is very thin and much smaller then his brothers ... I believe that his health problems, whatever they are, have affected his physical growth. Vet doesn't know what is wrong. Any ideas?

I now have only 14 ratties on meds. :joy: :joy:

Wow, that's quite the list! I guess you're very organized to make sure everyone gets their meds at the correct dosage, at the correct time.......
I hope when this older group passes, that you will be allowed to enjoy some healthy ratties for a while so you can relax a bit.

I love them dearly but am so glad to be down to 14 on meds. In another week it will hopefully be down to 11 rats on meds ... There are only so many weeks/months that a person can handle having 19 or 20 rats on meds.

Rebecca, Hope, and Mary are on antibiotics for another week or so. They are doing well so didn't make the trip to the vet today.

Dahlas, I am fortunate to have a wonderful vet here in Fredericton who loves rats and understands that I have so many ratties because I used to take in and rehome rescues.

Have you tried just stopping meds on Paul for a few days and see how he responds? Then start over again with only one med at a time?
I do that once in a while when I see nothing is helping. Or you could try adding pred and see how he reacts with it.

Wow, what a list. I am so glad to see that some of them are coming off meds. I cannot imagine doing up that many meds and getting out the door on time in the morning.

Wish I knew what to think about Paul; he sounds a lot like Ronnie. Have you tried Pred for possible lung inflammation? It was the only thing that has stopped Ronnie's lung noises.

I added pred last week ... about half the max he can have so can up it. It didn't make any difference so far that I can see.

Took him off the lasix this morning as I suspect he doesn't need it ... he did when it was added but I think it was because of the nebulising.

Added a test dose of meds to see if heart prob. last night.

No change so far in breathing although in the last few days he seems to be more outgoing.
I can take him off the chlorpalm and just have him on baytril + pred + test dose of heart meds.

But you are likely right jorats ... I should take Paul off the meds and see how he is and then gradually add meds.
When the vet put him and Laurel on the antibiotics I didn't see any change but he felt that their clinical signs improved.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Very much appreciated.

Wow just reading that made me tired and my wallet ache!
Do you know how much xrays cost roughly at dr. stuarts? I have to take Rose in 2 weeks from now. looks like she might have something similar to toofer jane.

Reading this makes me feel lucky that I only have the one sick rat! Hopefully they will feel better soon!

Thanks Chel.
Not sure of the cost.
I don't usually look at the reciept ... its hard enough just to pay the bill.
Just wish the drug store was as understanding as the vet when it comes to paying bills ... most of the meds my rats are on (ex: heart meds) have to come from the drug store.

I have a book where I write down any concerns I notice, what the vet suggests during vet visits, meds each is on, when meds were started and stoped, med dosages, weights of each rat, etc. Also charts of who is on what meds and amounts.

Because it is in a book, I can look back and see what worked before, if there is any med combo not yet tried for the particular rat, weight changes over long periods of time, etc.

When I have adopted out rats, I included a book with each that I labelled Health Record and put initial info about the rats in it.

Actually, I did it when I only had 3 rats.
Helps to keep track of and to remember things .... like when the vet asks what a rat weighed 3 months ago.

I have weights of my rats from last november and vet appointments from two years ago lol - i dont keep it as detailed as you have though. I try and weigh them every month. I have weights of the girls aswell from a few days after i got them too. I write a physical thing aswell (like if anything has been wrong, if there is something i should keep an eye on etc.) - mostly with Sid though with him being an oldy.

Its a good thing to keep hold of

Back