Baby wild rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have a mouse!
And yeah, it sucks trying to find a rehabber around here for animals like this, they jump for the raccoons and deer and whatnot, but squirrels, doves, rats etc. heck no.

Chiho's-Small-Mammal_600w.jpg

So since he is most likely a mouse, are options still the same...releasing him would not go well? I know he is not old enough yet and there is still very real chance he won't make it...but today he is crazy, running around this little tote I have made up for him. I am doing my best but my cats and dogs want him gone fast, they weren't concerned with him when he was quite and not moving but now he is active and squeaky. Do people have mice as pets? Well these kind anyway? My cats have not been successful in killing any adult mice this year but we have had them inside but they have killed several (10) moles or voles..some kind of tiny yard destroyer. I don't want this mouse to have the same misfortune.

Yes people do keep mice, usually not wild ones, but there really is not much different except you have to work much harder to make them handleable and tame. I don't have any mice, so I don't think it would be good for him to come here. You could start looking now for a pet owner who would add him to their family, it won't be too easy but you can try.

I did release the baby mice I fostered. I caught them in my house and kept them until they were big enough to survive on their own, and started making them work hard for their food by hiding natural foods (like seeds, bugs, etc) in their enclosure under things and in little mounds of grass. I took them out in the countryside -in Surry- and released them together in a cornfield, they were not tame and were terrified of me, though.

Kloppie8 said:
So since he is most likely a mouse, are options still the same...releasing him would not go well?

Yes same issues re survival.
Mice are territoral too and will kill mice who move into their territory.
Lilspaz68 may be able to give you info re mice

Back