baby question again

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

Hello all well i wondered when do babies start using the washroom on their own? just to wonder because i have been finding little peanuts in the box here and there and they do not give me peanuts a lot when i clean them at feeding time :)

the babies are going to be about 3 weeks at the end of the week. they are still drinking soy milk and rice cereal once a day(started yesterday) the cereal they still get it from the dropper and not eat it on their own yet. i am trying to show them how in the lid of a jar but this is a challenge hehe messy feeties come out ;)

thanks for any answers all :cuddle: :heart:

baby weight yesterday:
girl:13.70g
boy:15.49g

this is now give or take a point as they really move now ;)

They should start eating quite well on their own once their eyes are open and I don't think you need to worry about the toilet now either. In addition to baby cereal you want to start adding solids to their diet - I like large flake oatmeal and multigrain cheerios.

You're being a good Mommy... keep up the good work! :thumbup:

i have tried the flake oatmeal they want nothing to do with it :( ill try the multigrain cheerios right now though. they are still pretty tiny but they go and move like nothings in the way. they should eat that i think too. thanks ill see about bathroom stuff if i see they are not going today well ill keep up with the tissue rubs :) thanks a bunch :D

I am not sure about baby rats but with puppies and kittens as soon as they are moving around really well you can stop stimulating them to go to the bathroom......

Dahlas said:
I am not sure about baby rats but with puppies and kittens as soon as they are moving around really well you can stop stimulating them to go to the bathroom......

aw cool i never noticed with the kittens we ever had mommy did the work then haha i put some multigrain cheerios in the bottom of the box and cleaned it so ill see if any bathroom has been going on. they should start gnawing things i would think the teeth on them are half out about.

You might want to try getting them to lick baby cereal from your finger.
Also keep a dish of hard lab blocks in their cage that they may decide to chew on.

I would also suggest dissolving lab blocks in boiling water to make mush, letting it cool and putting it in for them to eat ... lick off your fingers.

Put in a few peas for them too and perhaps a couple of small bits of a boiled egg.

SQ said:
You might want to try getting them to lick baby cereal from your finger.
Also keep a dish of hard lab blocks in their cage that they may decide to chew on.

I would also suggest dissolving lab blocks in boiling water to make mush, letting it cool and putting it in for them to eat ... lick off your fingers.

Put in a few peas for them too and perhaps a couple of small bits of a boiled egg.
cereal we do the finger thing (so cute) ill add some blocks now and do the mush thing now also. also the eggs too thanks good suggestions :D

When I got 3 week Dilbert, I fed him baby cereal, powdered formula mixed in, and Ensure mixed together to start. Soon I added soft peas and corn (frozen, warmed up) and cereals to chew on. I had the lab blocks in there but he had no real interest til about 4 weeks. Then I added baby carrots cut into wee pieces for his teeny paws, and I broke up the lab blocks with a meat tenderizer so they were baby-sized.

Vanessa taught me how to teach Dilly about new food...babies normally smell their mom's mouth and often steal food from her mouth. This shows them what is good and/or safe to eat. Because your orphans and mine didn't have momma around when they needed the instruction (he was a minimum of 2 weeks when Mom was taken away, eyes still closed) Dilbert had no interest in cookies :)shock:) until Vanessa put it in her mouth (saliva, mommy's mouth, Stamp of Approval) and then he snatched and ate it.

so should i put it in my mouth? haha or just offer them anyways and maybe they will take one day?

they should still eat formula right? of course what a question for me lol right now i do the cereal thing at lunch time only how many times a day should they eat cereal? and how many milk?

i did notice when i tried the multigrain cheerios they did not bother but when i held the baby boy like i do when feeding him he put it in his mouth(did not eat it but tried to suck it a bit)

aw when i went to check them just now baby boy took a multigrain cheerio and started nibbling it! thats so good. now only if girl will follow :D

She might learn from her brother. I am disappointed that the boy is picking up things sooner than the girl :wink2: Are girls suppose to be smarter? :giggle:

Ann

Yes, they should still be getting formula ... moms nurse babies until 4 to 5 weeks or even older.

As Lilspaz68 suggested, the baby cereal should be mixed up with formula too.

I would give cereal mixed with soy baby formula several times a day.
As for the soy baby formula ... that is still their main or perhaps only source of food so I would still give it very often ... not sure if it is every 4 hours at this point or not.

ok yeah i do this:
8am(soy milk),12pm(soy milk),3pm(soy milk),6pm(soy milk),9pm(soy milk),12am(cereal),3am(soy milk), and then back to 8am.

OdysseyDesign suggested me to give the cereal just before the night time feeding because thats the longest they will wait for the next feeding.

i know they should only get one feeding at night but i do not know when the last feeding of the day should be until they middle of the night.

Back