babies question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

I was wondering about a scenario I was thinking about in my head. If you have 2 females , and they both give birth fairly around the same time and one has like 5 and the other has like , 15 it would be ideal if you could let the mom with only 5 take care of one or two of the babies from the litter of 15. Kind of like letting the other mother adopt one to take the pressure off of the momma with 15. You know what I mean? Would they do that or would the mom know that it isnt hers and kick it out?

I would think there would be no problem......we have done that with cats at the shelter that have come in together with new born kittens......sometimes one will have 2 and one will have 8.

It is generally ok.
You would want to remove mom, add babies, making sure they smell like their new sib.s then put mom back.

Might be a good idea as 15 is more then the number of nipples so easier for mom and babies.

Hope the mom with the 15 babies doesn't get too upset or miss them too much.

SQ said:
It is generally ok.
You would want to remove mom, add babies, making sure they smell like their new sib.s then put mom back.

Might be a good idea as 15 is more then the number of nipples so easier for mom and babies.

Hope the mom with the 15 babies doesn't get too upset or miss them too much.

With 15 babies I would think she would be thrilled to give a few to a friend......I know I would :giggle:

Back