Babies: lots of squeaking!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratigan

I know this is a total noob question but here goes. I just got my two baby brothers a couple of days ago. They're about 4-5 weeks old, not much bigger than adult mice. Their cage is in my bedroom. During the day they spend most of their time heaped on top of each other, curled up.

At night, they like to play and I hear them running around the cage. While playing, they squeak almost constantly. I read that rats usually don't squeak unless they're stressed, hurt, fighting etc. I am guessing this mainly applies to adult rats.

So is it normal for the babies to squeak a lot while playing? I checked them both today and saw no sign of any injuries. I just want to make sure so I don't worry when I hear them squeaking at night.

Last edited:
Yes, that applies only to adult rats. Babies squeak, squeal and play hard. They sound like happy babies!

Yup! They're quite the pair, fun to watch when they're chasing each other around, and they're getting bolder. Now when I come into the room, I see two wee faces pressed against the bars waiting for me to come and visit with them.

Latest posts

Back