AUUUUG!! Poor Jeramy!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharlees rattakisses

I can't understand my lack of luck that I have with my rattakisses. :? My best friend (she drove from New Brunswick to London Ontario and then to Toronto to visit me) barely arrived when Jeramy broke his leg. I was lifting the chair to try to get the ratties out to show them and Jeramy let out a loud squeek and ran into the closet. He was acting normally, bruxing and boggling when he was picked up but it was obvious his leg was broken!! :cry4: My daughter and Rob my friends husband rushed him to the vet. I thought that I hurt him when I lifted the chair but the vet said that the break would be more of a crush fracture instead of a clean break. They wanted me to put him down and quoted a price of over $1700.00 to amputate his leg!! My daughter Stacey was crying so much that they reduced the price to almost $ 600.00. Jeramy was acting normally like his leg was fine so how could I put him to sleep? Jeramy had his hind leg removed and I seem more stressed out about it than he does!! He tries to scratch with his missing leg and gets mad when the itch doesn't go away. :giggle: I am also glad that "Mimi" wasn't fixed as his (nuts) keep him balanced. :lol: He has stitches and seems to be on a quick road to recovery. Two of my little girls went to London Ont to live with Kerry my friends daughter and one little girl will be driving home to New Brunswick to live with my friend Fiona. Her ratty Blueberry died recently and her other rat Pistashio was loney. I now have 9 rattakisses. 8 in my ferret nation 142 and jeramy in his own cage until he is fully healed. For anyone thinking of keeping rats.... Be prepared to spend money on unexpected vet bills. In the last 5 months I have spent well over $2000.00 at the vets and this doesn't include food ect. I still haven't paid off the girls spays and I have added more $$ to my debt and now owe over $1000.00. I don't regret paying vet bills but I sure would like some good luck and karma to come my way!! :lol2:

Jeramy my poor baby!!

Jeramy

Jeramy balancing on his... n u t s .

To make sure I understand your post.. his leg was amputated because of a break? How bad was the break that the vet felt this was the option to go for?

99% of the time, fractures and breaks will heal on their own. Keeping the rat in a one level cage with easy access to food and water, limiting their mobility [no things to climb on], and giving pain medication is all you really do for either situation. Rats don't do well in casts, and they're so small that it usually causes more problems than it helps.

I said the EXACT same thing to the vet but he said that the break was at the ankle and that since the skin was torn that there was a good chance of infection. Casts weren't and option as you said so the only two left to me was putting him down or losing his leg. Jeramy is happy and lovable as always and you would never know his leg was gone. I hope I made the right choice. Has this happened to other people? Let me know.

The few amputations I've seen have been for extreme injuries, such as the leg was severely damaged and there was structural damage throughout. Mostly rescues who were attacked by another animal. The rest have all been left to heal, with pain meds and antibiotics.

I relied on the Vets expertise as I really didn't know what to do. I didn't want to put him down and thought that this was the only option open for me. Did I make the wrong choice? :sad3:

Jeramy looks very happy in the last pic.
What a wonderful little boy :heart:

PS. I have no idea if his leg needed to be amputated,
but I am very glad he wasn't pts.

We had a rat that needed a hind leg amputation. He never knew he lost his leg, it never slowed him down.
He had a recurring sarcoma.
As for the "need" for an amputation... it's true that his leg was broken at the ankle, there is quite a risk of rubbing/dragging and this can cause infection. We've spoken to our vet about this before. So, it could very well be that amputation was the best thing for him.

Thank goodness that dear Jeramy is doing okay. Wow that was a very high price....even $600 seems like a lot.......I am glad that everything worked out and Jeremy is doing great but I have to say I laughed out loud when I read that you were glad he wasn't neutered cause his "nuts" helped him balance....that is too funny.
Give Jermany a kiss from me

It's not going to hurt him in the long run, and I'm sure he'll do just fine without the leg. I'm glad he came through the surgery okay and is doing well.

Jeramy I such a sweet little boy!! :heart: :heart: He wobbles around like nothing has changed sitting on the couch in my lap and getting up to leave to poop on the window ledge just like always. I might need to get him a "Ball Cap" for his (nuts) :cheeky: as he has what looks like a small scratch on one of them. I have become the official left side scratcher for Jeramy who hasn't quite realized that his leg is gone. He makes the motions to get rid of an itch and becomes quite frustrated when it doesn't go away!! :gaah: Poor boy. How can such a small creature capture such a large portion of my heart? :cuddle: I am SO lucky!!

Back