ASF Rats are vicious

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zou

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, move or delete if needed. ASF rats (African Soft fur) are vicious. Even raised from babies, before the baby rats even had eyes open, they would bite. A once hand tame adult started giving piercing bites over night. It would jump 3 feet in the air just to bite you, and wouldn't let go for anything. They will even eat other ASF; 6 babies were eaten by the mother, right after they were weaned. Even pairs which had been together for months would eat each other. Is there a reason the rats are like this?

Probably your lines. I have a friend with asf's and all were very sweet from birth to death. They were a lot more timid compared to fancy rats but nowhere near how youpre describing. Maybe you just got an unlucky bunch? This is a forum for fancy rats, and it's rescue based but I'm sure someone will be able to help further.

I have to agree with Minnie, probably genetics. Before most were untouchable and bitey but some nice ones started popping up. I only had one rescue girl but she was a gentle soul, and only bit me once (sharp nip, no blood) when she was very old and I think she had some discomfort.
I miss my little Mini

Last edited:
Oh, thanks for the help. Probably just the group I have then. I decided to post here because there wasn't really any ASF based site or forum I could find. Beautiful picture, mine would never allow someone to pick them up like that.

As for the eating each other, did you see them kill each other or just consume the bodies? With domestic rats they have an instint to "clean up" a body (eat it) after they are dead. This prevents the body from attracting undue attention by predators to the colony. Its an old instinct that still pops up now and again. ASF's being even more instinctive and closer to the wild state may be even more likely to do this.

Theres a video online (youtube) of a ASF breeder showing the difference in socialization with young babies and older adults that had been handled. She never mentions biting so I guess she's working with better lines.

African Soft-Furred Rats are not true rats, nor are they mice, although they are more similar to mice than rats. They are also known as Multimammate Mice (what I personally call them since they are not rats), referencing the eighteen mammary glands on the females. I, too, know people who have had friendly multimammate mice from babies throughout their entire lives; however, I also know people with these mice which behave not unlike your description. Multimammate mice are an inherently audacious species, but since I have seen numerous exceptions to your description I am inclined to think genetics and lineage play a large role in their behaviour, temperament, and overall tractability, be that negative or positive.

Back