Quantcast

Are these healthy teeth?

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

liv

Hi! I noticed my boy Plato's bottom teeth have a gap between them and jut out at an angle like \ /, his brother's bottom teeth on the other hand are close together and shoot straight up like ||.
Very hard to get photos of this fellas mouth. Best I've got is a yawn and a portrait of him smiling with teeth visible.

IMG_0116.PNG
IMG_0103.jpg

Is this anything I should concern myself with? If yes, what's my best course of action?

Thanks,
Liv

lilspaz68

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
lets start with how rats teeth are normally. The bottom mandible of the jaw is not solid like a human, its actually 2 pieces connected by a ligament. This enables the bottom teeth to splay out to grip things etc. when a rat is struggling, sometimes yawning etc, those teeth will splay but will return to normal beside each other after. The way to tell if your rat has a true misalignment of their teeth called malocclusion is to look at the top of the teeth. Do they go straight across more or less evenly or is there slants and crookedness going on? The top incisors grind against the opposing bottom incisors when they brux to keep the teeth evenly ground down, when a tooth or teeth are out of alignment you will get crooked teeth that will eventually need trimming.

liv

The way to tell if your rat has a true misalignment of their teeth called malocclusion is to look at the top of the teeth. Do they go straight across more or less evenly or is there slants and crookedness going on?
His top teeth are crooked too. I plan to get my boys to the vet soon for a check-up, so I'll see what they say. In the mean time I guess I'll be spoiling him with chew toys. Thanks for the helpful response!

mwp051699

lets start with how rats teeth are normally. The bottom mandible of the jaw is not solid like a human, its actually 2 pieces connected by a ligament. This enables the bottom teeth to splay out to grip things etc. when a rat is struggling, sometimes yawning etc, those teeth will splay but will return to normal beside each other after. The way to tell if your rat has a true misalignment of their teeth called malocclusion is to look at the top of the teeth. Do they go straight across more or less evenly or is there slants and crookedness going on? The top incisors grind against the opposing bottom incisors when they brux to keep the teeth evenly ground down, when a tooth or teeth are out of alignment you will get crooked teeth that will eventually need trimming.
Very well said! Should copy/paste that into a informative pamphlet for new pet rat owners, PRIOR mandatory reading BEFORE buying a pet.

Big Schpog

Thanks for that info Lil Spaz. My vet checked all my girls teeth a few weeks ago and they're all normal. I let my girls chew on
popsicle sticks and chopsticks when they want to.

Latest posts