Anybody's ratty ever get trapped like a lobster??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

Last night I put in a small plate of peas for my ratties. In one cage, three of them immediately dived in. The other was in a cube. Soon the cube started moving and shaking.... it went on and on. I realized that my Penny had become trapped in there somehow. She was panicking, probably because she could smell the peas and didn't want to be left out.

I took down the cube and rescued her. She had chewed a very small hole in the lining and had burrowed in between the lining and the outside (what else is new???). So, just like a lobster, she had entered through a small hole and not been able to find her way out.

If I hadn't come along, she'd probably have chewed her way out at some point.

My rats love to do that too, chew through the lining and find that perfect comfy spot. But I never had one go into a panic to get out, it might be because they don't chew small holes, only big ones.

I thought I had lost a rat recently when she chewed a little hole so she could get into the lining of their octoplay. I searched everywhere for her! Put my hand inside that stupid octoplay more than once! Now who would think that she's hanging inside the ceiling sound asleep? :doh: I had quite the time getting her out of there. :lol:

Penn's done that a couple of times. I think it's more that she's gotten older and she doesn't realize that "oozing" down through the hole is easy. The climbing back out part is difficult. So now she makes an opening into the liner on the short sides of the bunkbeds. :doh:

ETA : She's gotten stuck in hammock linings before, too. I think she forgets where she put the hole.

I have so had this happen. Flower (My big 565 gram girl) chewed and tiny hole in her cube(she is DESTRUCTIVE), I heard her squeking in a panic and could not figure out what was wrong with her (I thought I saw her whole body). Well when I pulled the cube out I noticed that her wide hips were stuck she some how got in there and could not get back out, I had to rip the hole bigger so she could squeeze out. I told her big girls do not fit in small places.

Magenta or Burnette got stuck in the silo of the much-used toy barn - two openings in two directions, and both directions facing the cage corner - she started chewing one opening bigger. I woke up wondering why she was chewing plastic. I didn't deal with it immediately, but realized come breakfast that she was actually stuck in there. Silly rat.

WHAT?? Your baby trapped? Now if this is one of my cubes, I feel horrible (I feel bad for your sweetie anyway - my cube or not)!! I know that one of my cubes saved a rattie's life once but if one of my cubes is responsible for something bad happening I am devastated! :sad2: I am so sorry!

Wonderrodent, don't worry... it wasn't one of your cubes. But it wasn't the cube's fault anyway!

The only reason Penny panicked is that she couldn't get out fast to eat the peas. If she'd had time on her hands, she'd have simply chewed her way out. Believe me, all of your cubes now have extra exits except for the fabulous Cubicus that already has at least six holes!!

Watching them poke their noses out of the oddest spots is half the fun for me. Nothing like calling everyone, and seeing a nose poke out of the dead center of the bottom. Why on earth would they put a hole there...

Wonderrodent, would you believe I still have all the cubes from the very first order I made with you... they are full of holes but they are the rats' favorites!! Still much loved cubes.

Godmother said:
Last night I put in a small plate of peas for my ratties. In one cage, three of them immediately dived in. The other was in a cube. Soon the cube started moving and shaking.... it went on and on. I realized that my Penny had become trapped in there somehow. She was panicking, probably because she could smell the peas and didn't want to be left out.

I took down the cube and rescued her. She had chewed a very small hole in the lining and had burrowed in between the lining and the outside (what else is new???). So, just like a lobster, she had entered through a small hole and not been able to find her way out.

If I hadn't come along, she'd probably have chewed her way out at some point.

LOL!!!!! Ben and Roquefort do that too!!! They burrough their ways into the sheets and then get stuck in the middle!!!!

I hope you set aside some peas for your little (not so successful) escape artist. :laugh4:

"I hope you set aside some peas for your little (not so successful) escape artist. "

Luckily there were some left by the time I had rescued her.

Wonderrodent, all of my cubes are well chewed. That just means they are having a good time. They chew out the stuffing, make extra exits & peepholes, and often just chew for the sake of it. But the cubes are very sturdy and survive all this abuse!

Back