Any tips for buidling my own grotto cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat37788

So I recently began to build a new cage for my two boys. I found the idea from the Dapper Rat website. (http://www.dapper.com.au/grotto.htm).

The dimensions I decided on are: 5 feet tall, 32 inches wide, by 18 inches deep. I'm using 1/2" plywood.

Now that I have the base and doors built, I'm ready to paint. I read somewhere to use water-based paint and in a high gloss for easy cleanup. However, I'm not sure what type of metal to use to secure the doors on. I know zinc is toxic to ratties if they gnaw on it, so I'm not sure what else is available. Also, I wanted to caulk or seal the sides of the shelves so if they urinate it doesn't spill to the lower levels.

Has anyone ever built their own cage? I want to make sure I'm not using any toxic chemicals or substances! Thanks :)

Your paint will need to cure before adding ratties, so preferably in the hot sun for a few days. The paint should also be non toxic and no fumes.
You might also want to cover any exposed wood with a laminate tile. Peeing on the wood, even through paint, it will STINK! A long time ago, my dad helped me build one. It looked wonderful and I loved it. After 3 months, I threw it outside, I couldn't stand the smell.
As for hinges? Is that what you mean to secure the door? The chances of ratties chewing on those are slim. I don't know if I'd be all that worried about the zinc.

I ended up getting Behr paint. The guy at Home Depot called Behr directly and although they say to never use paint around animals (legal issues I'm sure), he said this one was the safest. It has 0% VOCs and water-based. I know the hinges will be on the outside, but I guess I'm more worried about them chewing on the vinyl-coated hardwire cloth I bought. I know I can't used galvanized metal, but just double checking in case they do choose to chew on stuff.

I also need help finding some cute, durable, and affordable decor for inside the cage. I'm going to need hammocks, beds, tubing, cage liners, etc. Anyone know of a good place to get some from? :nod:

There are tons of great hammock akers on here, just check out the garage sale section : ) Youc an also use plastic bins and things from the dollar store and plastic tubes from the hard ware store

Back