Anxiety About Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!
I am unsure if others have dealt with this or not but I owned two male rats a long time ago and they both died from breathing issues and it was really heartbreaking for me. I decided I wanted to get girls this time around since I cant have a dog or a cat and wanted a pet. I have three girls named Mable, Sable, and Labelle. I have had them for about three days now and I am noticing that I have so much anxiety about their health. All of them sneeze off and on and its only been consistent for one and I have taken her to the vet and she is on antibiotics now. They are approximately 5 months old, and I feel so much fear that they are going to die or get sick really suddenly and pass away. I know I am doing everything in my power to give them a good life and help them to be happy and healthy but there is that anxiety voice that says "are you doing everything you can". I dont know if other rats owners have experienced this, but some advice would be super helpful. Thank you!

First, your choice of names are very, very cute.

Regarding anxiety about their health -- I can definitely relate. For me, personally, just joining this forum and hearing from and reading the experiences of fellow rat lovers helped massively. My other suggestion is to find a vet you really trust and feel comfortable enough with to ask as many questions as you have as often as you need. The vast, vast, vast majority of people who work in veterinary clinics really, really, really love animals and will fully understand if you need to take some time to ask additional questions.

Rats are unfortunately short-lived pets, but I think that they offer the exact same amount of love and joy as any other. They just work very hard to really pack all that love into the years that they have. Know that your feelings and concerns are valid and don't be afraid to voice them, but also don't forget to take the time to soak in all the joy your girls have to offer.

Preoccupy your thoughts with all of the fun things you can try during playtime or the next neat box fort you can build them to explore during free roam period. Work on the next cool trick and impress your friends with your rat's ability to tell the difference between "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" when half of those friends can't consistently do the same. Play interior decorator with their cage whenever you're cleaning up and watch them gleefully bound around exploring the new setup. Or maybe just snuggle up and watch a movie while they cuddle and groom your hands.

Back