An Old Boy Slowing Down

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeediosAndFievel

Late yesterday evening, my super-senior boy Fievel began to slow down. Typically, he is a very playful guy, only two days ago he was zipping around my bed and doing tricks for treats! But all of a sudden, he's become very lethargic. He takes a few steps and then slumps over and lays there, and occasionally I can hear his breathing (Like little pops). When he lays down on me, he puts his entire weight into it; He's been laying beside my arm and resting his head over it like a pillow, which he never did before. He's never been much of a cuddler.

He has stopped eating and drinking, sometimes I can get him to take little sips of sugar-water, but he is completely refusing his food and bottle.
His eyes have been producing a little bit of porphyrin, and I've just been wiping it off with a warm paper towel, he seems to like that.

Keep in mind, Fievel isn't exactly an average rat (I know, everyone says that about their little ones). He's absolutely huge, and over the three years I've had him, he hasn't seemed to loose his playful spirit at all, or even have a dip in energy. I almost thought he might break the record for oldest rat with his streak going!

Considering his age, my Mum and I just think it is just coming to his time.

Is there anything I can do to keep him happy and comfortable?

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpeg
    IMG_1762.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Back