America's Choice Eco Bedding?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rae_liz916

So I was using Aspen when I first got my boys (two weeks ago). They were terrified so I called the breeder (New to ratties, didn't consider adoption) to ask what I could to do help.
She mentioned that they were raised on America's Choice and that might make them feel more at home.
The breeder is amazing. She is VERY knowledgeable about rats, breeds them for health and temperament, take ratties back, loves receiving update pic, etc...
Problem is, I think I hear the little guys sneezing. It's very dusty and even made me sneeze once. Is the breeder misinformed? Should I switch back to Aspen?
Again, it's called America's Choice Eco Flakes

Sorry if this should be in ER section, wasn't sure. Feel free to move.
Thanks for any help!

They might have what we call new home sneezes. As long as their lungs sound clear (you can rat phone them to listen - hold them up to your ear like a phone receiver), and as long as you don't see any excessive porphyfin coming out of their nose/ears they are probably just fine. Rats need time to get used to new environments and people.

You do need to use litter that has the least dust possible since it is bad for their respiratory systems and they need to be kept in a cage that is well ventilated - no tanks. If you think the litter is too dusty definitely change it. Aspen is fine, but not preferred over paper or fleece. You do need to freezed any aspen or paper litter for 48 hours before using to kill any mites/fleas/lice that might be hanging out. I prefer Kaytee clean and kozy, but carefresh ultra/premium is good too.

Congrats on the new ratties and feel free to post any questions and we like pictures....

Oh interesting. Yeah, the breeder showed me how to do it but I'm making good progress with them and they definitely don't like to be picked up. Should I anyways?

Over time I'll slowly mix the Aspen in and eventually switch completely. Thanks for the tip about freezing!!
If I could find a cheap paper bedding, I'd totally get it. I'm using Yesterday's News for their litter box atm and holy crap that stuff would be expensive to use as bedding. I'll look into the ones you suggested too.
Thanks!!

They might have what we call new home sneezes. As long as their lungs sound clear (you can rat phone them to listen - hold them up to your ear like a phone receiver), and as long as you don't see any excessive porphyfin coming out of their nose/ears they are probably just fine. Rats need time to get used to new environments and people.

You do need to use litter that has the least dust possible since it is bad for their respiratory systems and they need to be kept in a cage that is well ventilated - no tanks. If you think the litter is too dusty definitely change it. Aspen is fine, but not preferred over paper or fleece. You do need to freezed any aspen or paper litter for 48 hours before using to kill any mites/fleas/lice that might be hanging out. I prefer Kaytee clean and kozy, but carefresh ultra/premium is good too.

Congrats on the new ratties and feel free to post any questions and we like pictures....

Finally posted pics in Random Pic Thread :)

Oh interesting. Yeah, the breeder showed me how to do it but I'm making good progress with them and they definitely don't like to be picked up. Should I anyways?

Over time I'll slowly mix the Aspen in and eventually switch completely. Thanks for the tip about freezing!!
If I could find a cheap paper bedding, I'd totally get it. I'm using Yesterday's News for their litter box atm and holy crap that stuff would be expensive to use as bedding. I'll look into the ones you suggested too.
Thanks!!

I order my bedding from drsfosterandsmith.com - you will find stuff much cheaper here. As for the litter boxes we use http://www.petsmart.com/cat/litter-waste-disposal/exquisicat-naturals-fragrance-free-paper-cat-litter-zid36-13478/cat-36-catid-200018?var_id=36-13478&_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted and we get it from petsmart.

Scoop the ratties up don't try to grab them.

I order my bedding from drsfosterandsmith.com - you will find stuff much cheaper here. As for the litter boxes we use http://www.petsmart.com/cat/litter-waste-disposal/exquisicat-naturals-fragrance-free-paper-cat-litter-zid36-13478/cat-36-catid-200018?var_id=36-13478&_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted and we get it from petsmart.

Scoop the ratties up don't try to grab them.

Oh very good price. Thanks for that!! Looks similar to Yesterday's News too. I'll check out that other site too. I dunno if I said grab somewhere but if so that was an accident. I do try to scoop them and if they run, I leave them alone for a while. I'm as gentle as possible with my babies :)

Oh, I see where you got that. I guess I should've said they don't like to be handled at all. What I do to get them out is wait til they're in their safety zone (soda box lol) and take that out of the cage.
I'm working on handling though. Hermes allows me to pet him at least :)

Back