alzimeirs in rats??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

i got my javakittie liners today. :happydance: the cage didn't really need it but i cleaned and put in my new liners. :wink2: i was planning on waiting to put stewart back in with the others on friday but i wanted him to get to experience the new liners too and his foot is looking MUCH better. i moved the water and food up to the middle level and put him back in after the liners were in. obviously serraphim didn't know what to make of him as she had never met him before, so she ignored him and wobbled her way out the door every chance she got instead. everyone else greeted stew and had a shared groom. they obviously remembered him.

except violet. she acted as if she had never met stew before. she sidled up to him, boxed and pinned him, even poofed! :shock: she acted as if he was a new rat. she's my other older rat, same age as stew at 29 months. before stew's accident they would hang out in his hut or just laze around on a level together. they weren't the best of friends as in they were inseparable, but they were certainly good friends. i find it odd that she doesn't seem to remember him when everyone else obviously does. even twix, the extra dominant queen, tucked her head under stewart's chin in a welcome groom. violet got foofy...

so, where she would be about the 80's range in human years, could it be possible that violet's memory isn't so good anymore? could it be something like alzimiers?

violet is not very aggressive and is accepting of noobs pretty easily so there hasn't been anymore tiffs but she has shown no sign that she recognizes him. its very odd.... :?

I would think she recognizes him....maybe as long as he was there she accepted him but once he was gone she was.....glad. Now that he is back...not so much....

i've had rats grudgingly accept each other before and the way stew and vi interacted before the accident didn't indicate such a relationship. i really don't know what's going through vi's head right now. she's treating him like a completely new rat, the same way she did with serraphim a couple days ago. violet's a sassy girl, i know when she's acting miffed with someone and when she's happy and sad, she's just very emotional and it really shows through with her. she's not acting miffed at stew for being there (or for being missing when she hadn't ok-ed that), she really doesn't seem to be recognizing him... :?

How long have they been separated?
I've had rats react this way with just one day separation.
In my colony, my Nessie does this to all the rats that have been gone a day or two. She's only 14 months old but it could be because she's a she-devil. :devil:

stewie has been out of the main cage since the 5th, so 6 days.

i guess so long as i don't have to worry with memory issues with her it doesn't really matter. i would hate for her to forget where the food is. she's gets cranky when i'm late with their nummy meals.... wait, on the other hand.... :cheeky: :lol:

Back