Allergies and Hairless Rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shell777

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I don't have any rats yet but I'm doing as much research as I can about them. My husband has an allergy to rats but I was hoping that he wouldn't be affected by hairless rats. Does anyone have experience regarding this? Thanks in advance for your help!
Michelle :)

:thewave: :welcome2: :thewave:

I do not know the answer to your question , although i assume no hair no allergies :D
But welcome anyways!!!

It depends what the allergy stems from.

Lost of people are allergic to rat urine. If that's his case, you are very out of luck:(

Hairless rats will still produce dander, so if that's his issue they may not be an option still. BUT, I have to wonder if they would produce less than their furred counterparts.

It would be wonderful if you could find someone in your area who has a couple of pets, so you guys could find out :D

Many people who are allergic to rats still have them as pets if the allergy is not too severe. Air purifiers and slow desensitization can help.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!!

A friend of mine has some allergies to rats and she is worst affected by hairless rats... rex/velveteen rats trigger her allergies less.

Like somebody else said, I think it depends what your hubby is allergic to...

I know some people are only allergic to males but do ok with females or vice versa.

Thanks for the big welcome :D

His allergies don't seem to be too severe. So I thought I could possibly bath the rats once a week or wipe them down with those pet dander wet wipes, and spot clean the cage everyday. The air filter is a good idea. We use one now in our main living area so I could get another to put by their cage.
There is a local breeder in my area, I think I will ask her if we can visit and we'll see how he does after spending some time with them. But I don't think she has hairless, I don't think anyone in my area does but maybe we can still get furred ones if I stick to those ideas I mentioned.
Thanks everyone! I will be back with more questions I'm sure :)

Back