Albert

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

I've been noticing some strange sounds coming out of Albert.

They are almost like grunting sounds. He has no noticable respiratory distress. His extremities are all pink, he eats and drinks more than his fair share and he is extremely active during play time. No porphyrin, no lethargy, nothing which gives me any concern. He makes these sounds when he is on my shoulder or being held and he does it right into my ear.

My only reason for being concerned is that Debbie D's "Rat Health Care" book says that people mistake respiratory problems for "rattie talk".

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I do not believe my little man is sick in any way. With all the blueberries they get (either by theft or as a gift!), he must have a ton of antioxidants in his system!

Thanks!

Some rats, mostly males make this very low noise, I guess it could be a grunting sound. I've read up on this and found that it's associated with dominance. And sure enough, I hear it mostly when mine are being kind of "macho" at the time. But they will do it just sitting on my shoulder, almost like they are feeling king of the castle type of thing.

Moth used to grunt when she was on me, very low pitched, almost like a subsonic vibration. She would run all night and I would wake up to pat her and she would get all excited and grunt. The rest of the time she was silent. she never did get sick until she was almost 3. :)

jorats said:
Some rats, mostly males make this very low noise, I guess it could be a grunting sound. I've read up on this and found that it's associated with dominance. And sure enough, I hear it mostly when mine are being kind of "macho" at the time. But they will do it just sitting on my shoulder, almost like they are feeling king of the castle type of thing.

Dominance? LOL... that may be it!!!

Albert tries to strut his stuff as much as he can.... but he still gets powergroomed by the others... :laugh4:

lilspaz68 said:
Moth used to grunt when she was on me, very low pitched, almost like a subsonic vibration. She would run all night and I would wake up to pat her and she would get all excited and grunt. The rest of the time she was silent. she never did get sick until she was almost 3. :)

I blow on Albert's belly and get the sound too. :wink:

I've had two rats do the almost-subsonic grunting noise, and they were not ill. the noise to be concerned about is the "monkey" noises that some of them make.

I noticed that when Maude and Bill made the low grunting noise, it was always when they were on my shoulder. I don't know whether it was the height or just the fact that I might not have noticed the sound if they did it very far from my ears.

Back