Alarming foot bump/blister?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clestone17

I was cleaning out my rats cage today, and I notices one of the six boys I own, Doug, has a large red bump on his back right paw, on the top. There is no way that its from a fight, since the boys are all brothers and share no aggression. It's kind of like a bubble like a blood blister almost, but it is not bleeding.

Doug is only about 3-4 months of age, (from a very large litter).
He has never had any other health problems
He is walking on the leg fine, yet is very shy lately.
It is on the second toe from the outside.
I looked into Bumble foot, but it is not on the pad and its not bleeding and scabbing.
Help?

Here is a picture:
http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... umpef9.jpg

Wow... that is something else. It certainly doesn't look like what I know to be bumblefoot, but at the same time none of my rats have ever had it.

Does it seem to hurt him? Does he let you manipulate his leg, his foot and his toe?

He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but he doesn't put total pressure on it when jumping up into the little hammock. He is very apprehensive to let me pull him out of the cage. I guess I'll just watch him for a while, and see if it gets better. He let me give him a bath today, so maybe he'll let me soak it. Lol :)

My boy Prancer's toe looked like that after he managed to get it caught in the corner of his cage. It seemed to get infected even though it looked like the skin hadn't been broken. His toe healed fine, I just bathed it in warm salty water and kept it clean.

I hope its something simple and it heals ok. Poor Doug :hugs:

whirlytwirly said:
My boy Prancer's toe looked like that after he managed to get it caught in the corner of his cage. It seemed to get infected even though it looked like the skin hadn't been broken. His toe healed fine, I just bathed it in warm salty water and kept it clean.

I hope its something simple and it heals ok. Poor Doug :hugs:

I thought it looked like it might have got caught in a bar or something :(
Poor little guy.

Glad Prancer healed up well, I'm hoping we hear the same thing about Doug!

Could be an abscess, I would do warm compress on it or soaking.
btw, he's from a litter of 10 right? Just want to let you know, that is not considered a large litter for rats. :wink2:
That average litter is 12 to 13 which is completely normal. Some rats have 18, which would be considered a large litter.

Jem's toe looked like that when she had hurt it. We gave her some baytril and soaked the toe in some warm water and that seemed to help. Went down in a week I think it was. Hope it goes away soon, poor little toe

Back