AHHHHHHHHHRGH! HELP!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gummi Bear

I can't believe I forgot to post this! I went into the basement Sunday morning where my boysies and girlsies are kept and what do I find? The girls cage knocked over (Odds are my Lab Beau bumped the cage with his big arse). The cage is on the floor in two pieces, bedding everywhere and no ratties! Mojo and Harm went all walkabouts on me and I couldn't find them! I searched high and low, and in a moment of desperation I asked Oreo if he'd seen them. He just hung on the side of the cage watching the hilarity of it and jamming his nose between the bars. So after I had given up hope I went upstairs. Dad, feeling bad for me went downstairs. I hear him yelling that I'd better get down NOW. I go downstairs and the girls are curled up asleep inside Oreos Igloo.The cage was three feet below Oreos cage on the floor so they must have gotten out and scaled the side of the old cage I am using as a stand and squeezed between the bars and gotten in. Now I am worried something else horrible might happen....I do NOT want little bubs running around the place. I got both the girls in April, which would make them 5 months so I guess they would be fine with having babies, but I am very concerned about them, Harm is very tiny for 5 months and Mojo has been prone to inner ear infections. ARGH! What should I do besides take them to the vet? The vets here aren't that great so even that might not be a viable solution. I'm thinking give it a few weeks and see if the girls are with bubs..I don't think two litter of baby ratties will be good news, but what else can I do? I have brought Oreos cage upstairs to prevent further mishaps..HELP!!!

Finding a competent vet that can do an e-spay would be your best option, if you don't want a lot of babies. Especially for the girl that's small for her age. That way you'll also know that there will be no more accidents.

Glad you found them, though! It would have been heartbreaking for them to not come back.

We do not have an exotic vet here, not a good one anyway. An e-spay isn't a viable option for me, I am not trusting a vet who does not know what they are doing, I would rather have the babies and keep them. I will be starting them (mojo and harm) on some protein and I am keeping an eye on them like a hawk! If Mojo and Harm do have babies they will be kept or given to suitable homes. I'm worried and stressed, I had an adopted rat that came to me pregnant and ended up eating her entire litter in two or three hours within giving birth. That scene was something I do not want to re-live. What do you guys recommend as high protein food that would be suitable for two possibly pregnant ratties?

*Calling Tarah* Hun if you read this what vet do you use?? :( If you have found a decent one let me know!

I know it's not a good idea to have both sexes in the same house, but I would rather take the two girls than have them turned loose in the woods by someone who doesn't give a crap about them. And I would have either or both sexes fixed but I cannot find a good vet in town I am willing to trust. I asked a few people around about Sunrise, and St.John's vet but I always get the same answers, "I wouldn't go there is you paid me" . Until I find a good exotic vet I am not risking the little ones lives. I've had rats for the past ten years, the vet I used to see left the province :( and this is the first time in ten years something like this has happened.

I swear, Dr Singh is awesome. I brought Wolf, Ryder, Marbles and Lucy to him and they've been best kind ever since.
You cant take other peoples word for it, you have to give it a shot yourself.

Back