Agression Again (post neuter)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKbusy

Spook and Marley (males estimated 15 months) were both neutered on June 17th. Spook, mostly because of his agression, and Marley, so that if things didn't work out with Spook, I could get him a female friend.

After the neuters, I reintroduced them, and they were getting along just fine. Then Monday morning - a wole month and a bit later - I noticed that Spook and Liam (not neutered, est. 5 months male) were cuddled together in the big hammock, and Marley, instead of being piled in with them like he usually is, was off to the side in the second, seldom used hammock. I wasn't worried, since they weren't fighting or anything. I woke up to that for 3 mornings in a row (ie. 2 in one hammock, Marley by himself) and then last night, I go down to bring them their "cooked" meal and I hadn't even put the food down yet, and Spook just attacks Marley.

He was hissing, poofed up like crazy and using his butt/side to shove at Marley. It was like the neuter didn't happen. Major aggression for the next half hour. Marley had to stay hidden the whole time. The moment he crawled out from under the blankets, Spook would puff up, hiss and jump on him. I had no time to dig up and set up a spare cage, so I just made sure to put one of the tubes that only Marley could fit in into their cage. This way, Marley can hide from Spook and I slept by the cage just in case something were to happen.

This morning, Spook was again with Liam in their hammock. Marley seems to have spent the night in the litter box on the bottom level of the cage. Marley really really wanted to come out. So I let him. I set up their day-time free-range area and let Spook and Liam out too. At first, Spook seemed okay. But then he noticed Marley, and OMG. It was like... alley cats fighting. Long, high-pitched sqeals and tons of hissing and Spook was hideously huge and poofed up. Ahg. I had to seperate them because I didn't want Marley to get bitten, yet again.

So now, Spook is back in his old cage, with food, water, a hammock and a hut. Marley and Liam, who are cuddeled together, are free to go between their free-range area and the big cage. I've put Spook's cage in their free-range area, but off to the side.

I don't understand what's going on. I haven't changed their diet. They don't have mites or lice. Spook's neuter abcess is gone, so it shouldn't be bothering him. The only 'change' I can think of is that about 2 weeks ago, I started transitioning them to Mews Print instead of Carefresh.

Please please help!!! What should I do?! I don't want to seperate them!

Was Marley cut at all?
If not, put Spook back in the cage... they need to work this out.
Each time there's a ruckus, pull Spook out and gave him extra time with you. Also, each time you feed them, always pull Spook out, hold him while the others get to eat first. Then grab him a little dish and put him on a different level with his food.

How big is the cage?

No Marley was not cut. I was too freaked out. There was so much noise and just... it was so scary. I grabbed Marley as quickly as I could and held him while Spook stalked around and scared Liam into hiding too.

I was afraid it was the food. I will try it. But this morning, there was no food >.<. Still. I will try it.

Also, the big cage is 35" x 24" x 48" (a ferret playpen with added levels and ramps). Spook's old cage was only 30" x 18" x 20" (which he is in now while I'm at work).

When you mean let them "work it out" you mean I should just let Spook attack Marley?! And should I do it on neutral territory all over again?

No, I would just put him back in the cage. When Spook goes after Marley, don't pull Marley out, pull Spook out and cuddle with him. Do this every time you catch him being a bully.

>.< I'm sorry... I just panicked I guess. Did what you suggested. Removed Spook, let Marley and Liam eat first, then fed Spook separately. Made sure they'd all had enough and I took away the food.

They're getting along fine again... no puffing up, no hissing, no fighting (lots of mutual grooming!)

*embarrassed*

Thank you >.<

My House is like that, he's been neutered for quite a while now and once in a while he still goes after Morris.No blood but lots of yelling and pouffing and hip pushing. But Morris is too fast for him as House has head tilt. I take House out and cuddle and put him back in the cage. In a while everything is ok again. Good luck with your sweetie. It is nerve wracking!!

Back