Age & Neutering Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

How young or should I say how old is it safe to get a neuter done? I have a boy who was born on April 9th who I need to take in for a tail amputation and since I am having a very hard time getting any of my boys to accept him I thought I would go ahead and have him neutered while he was under and try to intro him with my girls who are much more accepting... So is he old enough for the surgery?

Ok now explaination....Marty is the baby boy from Maisey's 2nd litter that my hubby fell in love with and decided he just had to keep him. Well my boys did a number on his tail. I was nursing it and hoping it would heal but sadly I don't think it is going to and I just know when I take him in to the vet she is going to say amputate. I am actually having dejavu and have officially learned my lesson. These are the same boys who damaged Venito's tail and forced an amputation on him when he was living in the bottom half of the boys FN. They did it through the middle floor ramp gaps. So no more intros with these boys. They are all old man rats so I will just let their colony die out and start fresh. Although I am starting to think that with my own personal rats I want to try to just have one small colony so that means ALL new man rats must be neutered. I can get it done cheap enough so why not!

Staci

Yep, my vet does them young.
Poor Marty... losing part of his tail and his gonads. :giggle: I'm sure he'll get over it, especially when he sees he gets his very own harem.

Goliath was neutered at almost 8 weeks and Dilbert at 12 weeks, so he should be just fine. I think its more a question of your vet's comfort then the actual age of the rat.

Back