Advice on body jerking...& to board or not to board...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenD

Hi again...I had a question about what it means when a rattie's body jerks, almost like a hiccup, but no sound is coming out?

My 10 week old boys are both on baytril for infection. One definitely was ill - the other was more precautionary. The ill one was stressed yesterday/last night due to the arrival of their Wodent Wheel, which I thought they would LOVE and take to immediately, but they were terrified. Anyway, today he had a mild sneeze and then my mil arrived and he's very sensitive to stress and started the body jerk, like a hiccup, but with no sound. Does anyone know what that is - should I be concerned? Is that just stress related?

I also had another question - we've been booked to go to an expo for 9 months & I'm volunteering there. It's about 2 hrs away, so we're staying at the hotel. My boys will have been on antibiotics for 9 days by then, but will miss 6 doses while we're gone. I spoke to the vet today and she said they don't usually board, except for special exception. She is checking with the tech's to see if someone will take care of them at the vet. Any thoughts on that? Will it be more stressful for them to be in a scary place - doing them more harm? Or would it be worse for them to miss their meds. I'm tempted to drive back and forth, but I think my husband would think I'm nuts...I have one more friend to try who had a rat years ago that might be able to help me out of this jam. I know how bad it is to stop antibiotics in the middle, so I really don't want to put them through that...sigh...any advice? Should I board them at the vet if they can do it? I worry about them picking up mites or other things while there...ugh...what do you all do? :gaah: Thanks...Jen

Hmmmm...I just read a posted article that listed "silent hiccuping" as a sign of respiratory infection...so that must be what that was. Should he be better by now, though if the baytril is working? He's getting .5 cc's twice a day and is 8.6 oz in weight - 10 weeks old. He's been on it for 7.5 days. He seems to have more energy - is being more dominant in his play with his brother. Thoughts?
Thanks again, Jen

Can you find a pet-friendly hotel? I don't know what it's like in the states, but here I've seen motels that will allow animals, as long as they're caged/leashed.

I'd probably drive back and forth, but that's just me, and my husband already thinks I'm nuts! :)

They should DEFINITELY finish their antibiotics, with no missed doses, so either arrange for a friend to come over and give it to them, or drive back and forth yourself. Those are my suggestions :)

Also, I assume you mean this expo is nine DAYS, not nine MONTHS?

Take them with you in a nice big cage. I have taken rats on meds with me and stayed in pet friendly hotels. No problem. At least they would be with you so less stressful then staying at the vets.

Body jerking ... sounds like myco = need antibiotics
unless it is more than what I think you are saying, in which case it could be a seizure.

If they can't come with you I suggest you find a pet sitter. I petsit for people all the time and also used to work at a vet clinic so I can tell you first hand that animals are so much less stress when they are in their own home or with their people.

Hi Jen!
I agree, I would make sure that the boys get their meds. If I only had two rats, I'd take them with me everywhere I go. :D
It might make them scared but what it can also do is make them become more accustomed to new things.

Some say the hiccuping is part of a respiratory infection but I've had some rats do it and never be ill or become ill after the hiccups.

I've traveled and stayed with my rats in hotels before. If you have a huge cage at home, you don't need to bring the whole thing -- I think the ratties will be fine in a smaller "vacation" cage for a few days, like a quarantine/hospital cage. If possible, decline the room cleaning option so the rats aren't freaked out by some random person coming in and banging around. Depending on how much of a gamble you're willing to take, you also may not have to mention your rats, strictly speaking, to the hotel staff. I'm not saying I advocate lying, but if you have to stay at a hotel that you know won't allow rats....well, I'm just saying when push comes to shove, I smuggled many an animal into many a hotel room.

Hey great idea everyone! I, for some reason and I'll blame it (like everything else) on my mommy brain - but I never thought of taking the boys with us. Do I have to worry about them catching dog/cat fleas though, if it is at a pet friendly hotel? Maybe those are species specific. I don't think they take them at the hotel the expo is at and if I sneak them and get busted, everyone in the community will know, but I'd LOVE to have them in *that* hotel with us so my children (who will be with Grandma) can stay close - maybe we'll just do that. It would be easy enough to throw a blanket over the small cage and keep them in the bathroom so we can sleep through all their sibling play at night :nod:

I have a Martin's carrier cage - would that be big enough for two young males for a three night stay? (and you were right, xxchelle - the expo isn't 9 months or even 9 days - what I meant to say was that I booked it 9 months ago - oops!) It's a three day expo, but since we're volunteering, we're going down on Thurs night :) Oooohhhh...do I dare stay in the no pets allowed hotel???? Anything for the ratties, right! :hugs:

Thank you guys again - this is a WONDEFUL forum! Thanks for starting it Jo!!!!

I agree with Jo, I have had many rats hiccup and not develop a URI. My Moth lived to 38 months and was never sick her entire life, but regularly hiccupped. When there is a sound you might have an impending infection or scarred lungs though. Sounds pretty normal. I hope your babies get better soon :)

My experience has been that when rats are "hiccupping" frequently and often, and I medicate with baytril for myco., the hiccupping stops.
I do not medicate if it is just the occasional odd "hiccup".

I have also read that it is caused by myco.

Back