Advice on aggressive rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DadRat

As you may have noticed in my recent threads, one of our new adopted boys, has been quite aggressive since coming into our home.

Quilt has a neuter scheduled for 9/14. He is living in the top of a divided cage with his cagemate of a year in the lower level, as blood was being drawn in scuffles.

Quilt is biting us. A lot and drawing blood frequently. He begs to be let out, and we do not wish for him to be locked up for the next week, but it is getting the the point that my wife and I are very wary about being anywhere near him. I got bitten 3 times yesterday during his "out to explore the couch". 2 were random nips the just barely broke the skin as he walked by. The first time he did that I scolded him and he puffed up and huffed at me before running away. The 2nd time I tried to pick him up to go back to the cage, this let to the 3rd bite. And a blood trail to the bathroom. Again.

We're up to 4 or 5 serious deep bites now. If the neuter doesn't help with his aggressive behavior we're not sure what to do with him.

Help?

The neuter should help him with his agression however it probably won't happen overnight. It will take some time after the operation. As for what to do with him until then. I'm really not sure.

You'll be amazed -- just give it a bit of time!! I couldn't believe the change. If I can dig up my post on Shivers somewhere... Before the neuter, I got to the point of making sure I scooped him up with a towel or let him walk into a box, or onto a covered arm/shoulder to get out of his cage. I never tried to touch him with hands because he was a huffy, territorial beast and would trundle back and forth searching out bare skin to bite. I couldn't even sit on the bed with him without being totally covered up in layers, because he was always looking for a spot to bite -- one thin layer of clothing was not enough to stop him if he could smell the skin beneath.

After neuter -- it did take a while - several weeks for him to work the hormones out, so watch yourself for a bit afterwards too as he'll have ingrained responses. I actually got my worst bite from him just a few days after his neuter because he was acting a bit different, and I misjudged the extent of the change...But he is now the loviest beastie ever. He LOVES scritches and play. I can handwrestle with him with no fear at all. He's a totally different rat - and much, much happier and less stressed out. Hang in there!

Edit: Found the link to my experience with it...
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8691

My mom had a rat that would actually fling himself into the air to try and bite at my mom. A neuter turned him into mush and it was fast.
I wouldn't take that little meanie out anymore, not if he bites during out time. Give the neuter a chance a good 3 months and then we deal with whatever behavior he's got.

I think Quilt is protesting being shut up all day. He just nipped my wife through the cage bars! This will make cage cleaning difficult...advice?

Also, how long after his neuter until we reintroduce him to his previous cagemate? A week? Until we are sure there is no more aggression/it is not going away. This is putting a delay on our introduction plans. The best laid plans of [s:1i48g5au]mice[/s:1i48g5au] rats and men...

I feel bad with him only having like 2 square feet of room, but I think he's going to have to deal with it for a while until his manners improve.

What you could do for cage cleaning is bring his cage onto a table and let him walk out and then remove the cage and clean it while keeping an eye on the bugger. Then bring the cage back and let him climb in. You could do his out time that way as well.
I'd give it 1 to 3 weeks before starting intro. You'll get a feeling of him calming down and that's when you try.

Back