Adopting some new boys

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hi Everyone,

I will most likely be adopted two males from a person who does not have the time for them (just have to convince my husband). They will come with a cage. I would like to eventually have them live with my two dumbo boys. (Then i have a free cage for girls!)

My boys are about 17 months now and very laid back. The new boys are adolescences, i would say, and very active.

I have read all the info on introductions and will take it slow. I am hoping all will go well.

Any suggestions or comments about the age and activity level difference? Will this help or hinder?

Thanks,

Tara

It's been my experience that all intros can work, it all depends on how we do them.
When rats go through a big change like a re-home, then they are more accepting of new rats because they are still confused as to what's going on.
Are you planning on quarantine?

You should always do a full quarantine, no matter where they come from.

While Canada doesn't have as severe a problem with SDA and Sendai that the US does, it's still something to think about. If you have the means to do a real QT, keeping the other rat in a totally separate air space for a minimum of 2 weeks, you really should do it. Right now the home they are in may have rats that haven't yet shown any symptoms, but are currently sick. The rats you're planning on bringing home could have an illness just starting, and the stress of a new home can make it more apparent, or even just the stress of a new home can trigger a flareup.

If you don't have the means for a full QT, you can do a lesser quarantine in your home. The rat should be kept in another room from your resident rats, preferably with a door. A rat sneeze can travel something like 10 to 15ft, so the further the better. You should change clothing, wash your hands, and try to handle the resident rats before your new rats. This will not protect against any airborne bacteria/viruses, but can help prevent common resp bacteria and parasite infestation.

Back