Abcess

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

Flower has an abcess next to her healed spay incision. :gaah: What do I do? It looks as if it is going to burst soon, once it does what do I do? Flower weighs 1.2 pounds and I have 10% baytril how much do I give her, .2cc's? I also have amoxi, doxy and erythro and Metacam. Just need some advice on how to get it healed? After her $400.00 surgery and spending $200 getting the car fixed today I am strapped for cash but if i have to take her to the vet I will figure it out.

I normally don't give meds for abcesses that seem to be healing themselves. If it is oozing that is a good sign, just be sure to keep it clean and watch for any abnormal changes. You can give baytril, but I am no go with dosing...

hold on for dosing.

likely the abscess is from a teeny retained stitch. Bronny had that and it was teeny and when it burst the little tick of a stitch was in the pus. I flushed (no meds) and it healed in 2 days :)

What should I flush it with? I have been researching like mad and I wonder if I should soak her in warm water tonight to really get it open up so I can flush it good. Should I just use salt water or a water/betadine solution?

You could flush with any sterile saline solution. In a pinch, go to the drug store - they probably have some for contact lenses. Just make sure it's plain saline with no additives.

Yes, I put it in spagetti sauce which she loves. All of the solution in the USA has additives so I will just have to make my own.

It's not tiny it is about the size of a large marble but this morning it was smaller since it was draining. So I feel better giving her meds to go along with it.

I always try to treat the abscesses with flushing first before doing abs. If that doesn't work or it looks angry, then I do the abs. Also, when there's a lump/mass and I can't identify it as an abscess, I will do abs.

Back