A wonderful, easy very nutritional recipe my ratties love!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claireybell2477

I made this the other day and the rats, went crazy for it. It's very low in fat, next to no protein but higher in carbs. It's very good for them and they just really loved it so I wanted to share.

Thoroughly steam some sweet potatoes (or bake if you want the potatoes to be sweeter), lightly steam some kale and chop up some gooey pitted dates. Put in a food processor to make a really creamy, sweet mix that's very nutritional for them. Add some water or even some non-dairy tasty milk if you like. I can imagine this would be good for sick rats that are finding it hard to eat.

The sweet potato must be cooked otherwise it's poisonous. Very important that. But the sweet potato is extremely high in vitamin A, has anti-aging properties, and fights cancer, as well as being a sound, nutritious carborhydrate, providing them with energy and vitality.

The kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. It's very low in fat but surprisingly, very high in omega fatty acids! Which is great for the rats and not high in protein like salmon and other fish. And we all know that too much protein is harmful and hard on their kidneys. So kale is a great way of getting them their fatty acids. It's also loaded with anti-oxidants, preserving immune health. Anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, and anti-viral properties! Also high in copper, which is very good for rats.

Dates are full of nutrients and are great for energy and vitality. They are also very high in copper, have antioxidants called 'Tannins' that provide anti-inflammatory properties.

This is a treat though, so not too many dates as they are rather sugary!

I hope your rats enjoy this lovely healthful mix as much as mine.

You're very welcome! It's actually really tasty to eat yourself lol Really creamy and light. The sweet potato and dates together are a match made in heaven. If you can stop yourself gobbling it up, you'll have to let me know how your rats liked it too!

I think I'm going to make this for my two pups bday party. They are going to be 5 years old on May 19th and 26th. It sounds like I can make these into balls and maybe I'll roll them in oats for more sustenance for the dogs. And I'll keep some left over for the rats. :)

Back