A tribute to Lydia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

Two precious little girls ended up in the care of a horrible person after their previous owner couldn't take care of them any longer. This woman who took them seemed to really care for them, even bought them a huge cage, and took Lydia in for surgery to have a lump removed when one grew suddenly.

Over the next several months the girls lost weight, were never taken out of their cage or played with or socialized, and eventually they were given away to a wonderful lady named Raven.

The woman contacted me several times worried about the condition that the two girls were in. She could complain that they were getting thin, yet she refused to take either of them to the vet since she was now bitter about the amount of money she had to spend on the lump removal. I could only keep telling her that if she was worried, she needed to see a vet.

Two weekends ago she contacted me saying that she wanted to get rid of the girls. She didn't say why. I contacted both Godmother and SQ, who said that they would take them, but I also contacted a lady in my city named Raven. Raven said that she would take them for sure and give them a retirement home, since by this time they were 1 1/2 and 2 years respectively.

Arrangements were made for her owner to transport them to Raven's home on saturday. I stopped by to visit with Raven later that day, to see the girls, and I was shocked with what I seen.

I knew they were severely thin. Rosie, the 'plumper' of the two, could have every bone felt under no fat. Her coat was dull and parted, and her tail was bony and thin. Lydia on the other hand, was completely emaciated. You could see her ribs, feel every vertebrate in her back, her hip bones jutted out sickeningly, her tail was no more than a strip of bone covered with skin. She had no muscle, even her toes and feet had no muscle on them. Her coat was as dry as straw, and it parted at every sharp protrusion of bone. She was severely dehydrated, so much so that one couldn't even pinch a scruff on her. Worst yet, her organs could be felt with just the gentlest caress of her belly.

I was appalled, there's no other word for it. I knew the girls were thin, but they were even worse than the last time I seen them in January. How they had survived this long was just mind-boggling.

Raven immediately offered them baby cereal mixed with ensure plus, with which they wolfed down immediately. They were starving. Lydia also had an URI, and Raven immediately gave her a dose of baytril once she weighed her. She weighed only 8 ounces.

We spent the afternoon with the two girls, feeding them, cuddling them, comforting them. Rosie ate and eventually settled down to sleep. Lydia would eat, then she would get a burst of energy and she would wobble around for a few minutes. She was rickety and so, so weak. She jumped on our laps, yet there wasn't any strength to her. Then she would literally collapse, heaving for breath, and lay there until she got the strength back to eat again.

Lydia died Sunday afternoon. She was just too weak to make it. With no muscle on her, her body had nothing left to take from, and the food, no matter how much she ate, gave her no added strength. Rosie is doing better by leaps and bounds every day.

I write this so that those two girls can be remembered for their loving and kind nature, despite the cruelty they endured senselessly. I write this so that people know just how tough of a life they had, what they had to go through, but what kindness they were showed in the end, and how their lives have been cherished and will continue to be loved. Rosie will live on for her sister who was too weak to be able to, and Raven will nurse her back to health and give her the life she and her sister always deserved.

That is just so heartbreaking. We've picked up badly neglected girls having one die almost immediately. It's such a horribly sad feeling.

I feel especially sick.
I recognize their names and remember when they were put up for adoption.
Was thinking of taking them but waited to see if they could find a good home first as I had fairly high numbers of ratties.
Pretty sure I contacted their owner with suggestions and offering possible help if a good home could not be found.
I was relieved when a "good home" was found ....
I feel so very very sick ... poor little girls :cry:

I sincerely hope that you and the person who took then in contact the NB SPCA cruelty inspectors.
This woman needs to be charged.
Even with our lack of animal protection laws, starving an animal to death is illegal.

Oh my God... I am crying so hard right now for those poor girls... How could anyone let that happen. I agree that they need to be charged. I hope that you or Raven took pictures of them when you got them to show the cruelty that they endured. Those poor, sweet girls... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh God Riana; even I don't know what to say. :tearful:

There is absolutely no justification. I had a conversation with my vet last night. I told her that rat and small animal lovers are the purest kind of animal lovers there are (in my book).

I have never felt the slightest touch of resentment with the money I invest in my ratmen. You can't judge life by a "dollar value" given to it by an idiot human being who knows no better.

I have, along with many others here, spent literally thousands of dollars on my rats and their care. Currency does not provide love and warmth; our rats do.

Lydia's bump needed removing and I find it inexcusable that she would be resented for the money this stupid broad spent on her care. :mad: In my house; Lydia would have seen 3 thousand dollars in care if it had been necessary. That's why God invented credit cards.

My boys eat up my couch, destroy my carpet and chew on my drywall but they love me. They are the reason I can be independent and happy in my life. Rats come running when they hear or see you. They give you kisses and clean your ears for you. They steal your lunch right off your plate and hoard it underneath your sweatshirt.

Anyone who doesn't get it needs to get lost. Life has no material value. Lydia deserved every penny that was spent on her... she never deserved any resentment. :tearful:

The sweet and darling little lady... :tearful: Play hard at the bridge little love... play hard. :rose:

She eventually did, but it was too late, unfortunately. I did try to give suggestions to her about care and things like that, and some she took, some she didn't feel was worth it. But it was just too late for that little girl. But I think it makes all the difference in the world that she did finally get the love she deserved, even if it was only for 24 hours. Thankyou, everyone, for your kind words. It means a lot to me that these little girls could get such loving thoughts from such fine people. At least they are remembered, that's the important thing.

Ah, yes! Rosie is doing wonderfully! Thankfully (and surprisingly) she wasn't sick, just thin, so she's doing very well. She's integrated herself well with her new friends, and I guess she's getting plumper by the day! I plan on visiting Raven again at some point, once her school stress is over with, so I'll be sure to get plenty of pictures!

I am so happy to have found this forum, knowing there are so many like minded people that love and care for their pets.

But this story gave me a reality shock.
And I worry for all the other rats and animals that are out there right this very moment in awful cruel environments.

What a heartbreaking story. :(

Back