A tough decision.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, not very good news but i am in need of some advice. My girl pippin has a large lump on the side of her face just below the ear it started very small and has grown very quickly i took her to the vet and they basically said nothing an be done for her just keep an eye on it they didn't even give me any medication when i took her it was very hard but now it seems to be very soft. The worst part is a couple of days before we lost our boy ruffy from exactly the same thing only he was given metacam and baytril but it seemed to do nothing. Basically i don't know when the right time is to let her go she's still eating drinking and playing but her skin is starting to split and looks very sore she shakes her head a lot too. I don't know wether i should wait it out see what happens or would it be kinder to have her pts so she doesn't have to go through it i just don't know if i'm ready to let her go especially as she still seems ok. thanks.

Canyou gbo back and ask for Baytril? My Lex had something similar once, my vet had thought it was a tumour from the ear but it must have been an abscess because after two weeks of Baytril it went away. Baytril will also take care of any secondary infections should it break open. It can take a long time for a tumour to burst, but my worry would be if it's actually due to a tooth abscess, those are extremely painful.

I can tell when it's time for a rat to be pts due to pain. The rat will stay in a corner, will refuse food and their eyes become dull, like they zone out, their fur is also puffy, especially in the face. Those are signs of pain and probably the right time to make that sad choice for your sweetie.

Back