A quick question about litter boxes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syntdea

My two boys had (probably still have as it has only been 24 hours since they got Revolution) mites and so I had to remove the litter in their litter box (wood horse pellets), the rest of the cage is lined with fleece. Lilspaz68 said that it would be alright to not bother with putting litter in the box for the 48 hours that it's in the freezer.

What I am now wondering is, would it be okay to never put any litter back in the box? My boys are still using it and it's just so nice to be able to take the box and dump it into the toilet, spray with some vinager, dry it with tp and flush it all away.

Has anyone done this? Left the litter box bare? Are there any reasons not to do it?

I have never personally heard of anyone using a litter pan/box with no pellets or anything in it. I think not using any pellets would be like having a cat use a litter tray with no cat litter in it, you know? It would be very smelly very quickly in addition to no odor control from pellets, plus your ratties would literally be standing on their own fresh poops when they used it, rather than the ability to have the pellets to stand on, if you know what I mean? Just does not sound like a sanitary option. Just my two cents worth of course, but like I said, I have never heard of not using litter for rat litter trays.

mine would state a loud objection also, as they've done when one of the girls unhooked the box&dumped it in a fit of pique. I suppose if you dump it often&clean it since it seems this is only temporary. mine throw a fit if I don't check the pan 3times a day at least, so my divas may not be the best comparison, but you could always shred up a piece of paper if you run into issues, or toilet paper so it can be flushed.

Back