A need for darkness in rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

I read somewhere (not a very valid source) that rats need a period of total darkness for at least 8 hours a day (24 hours). It says if they are constantly exposed to lights for even 3 days, females can develop ovarian cysts and both males and females and more prone to tumours. It advises against night lights in the rat room and suggests you cover the windows to keep daylight out. :?

I've never heard of this before so I thought I would ask about it. My rats cage is directly beside my window. I was under the impression that day light is healthy for most mammals. I also generally have a night light or some kind of low lighting on in my room at night and thats been the case for years. My rats do get about 4.5-6 hours of darkness a day (the time between sunset and when I go to bed), but that depending on how much time I spend in my room during the evening which changes on any given day.

I've heard the same. Either way, they will have light in the day and when I got to bed all the lights are out.

I really have to question if the need involves complete and total darkness, or just a daytime/night time cycle.

Is my digital clock enough light to screw up this system for them? I'd have a lot of trouble believing that.

I'm no scientist but I would think that a normal night/day cycle is adequate. If not, wouldn't the rat go and in his hidey hole or cube or something for his complete darkness?
However it's believable that being exposed to light 24 hours a day could develop serious issues.

Back