A change in behavior?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmd0627

I have two female rats, approximately 10 months old. Just recently, they have started to act differently. Maia used to be the clear dominant rat...due to her size, she always took charge. In the past few weeks, though, there have been quite a few squabbles and lots of vocalizing. Whenever I witness a fight, it is Emma on top, or with the upper hand.

I'm just curious about this behavior, as it is something new to them. Emma has slowly grown over the past few months, so that may be a factor. They also just moved from one cage to a cage considerably larger--a Martin's 695. Is this territorial behavior, dominant struggles, or just something normal? Any input?

It is perfectly normal, especially with the cage change. It's a new territory, and your Emma feels she's able to try and move up the ranks to become alpha. Once the pecking order is established, things will quiet back down.

Thanks for the reassurance. I hate to see them squabble...since there are only two of them, I'm always afraid that one or the other is feeling "picked on". I try to keep in mind that it's something they'll work out in time, but I always feel bad for the rat being dominated.

Oh, I understand completely. I always cringe a little when there's a scuffle.

Back